Never Alone, the Arctic platformer that tells stories passed down by Alaska Natives, will launch digitally on November 4 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. Developed by Upper One Games, the studio created by the Alaskan non-profit Cook Inlet Tribal Council, Never Alone will debut for $14.99. The developer also offered a new trailer that discusses the game's inspirations and flashes bits of its gameplay.
The game stars Nuna and her fox companion, who rely on one another to survive eight chapters that survey "treacherous ice floes, Arctic tundra, ice caves, boreal forests, cliff-built coastal villages" and more. Never Alone is inspired by Iñupiat folklore, including characters from stories handed down through generations of its people such as the Blizzard Man, Sky People and Manslayer. Players can switch between Nuna and the fox to traverse the side-scrolling landscape on their own or team up with a friend to overcome puzzles with each character's unique abilities.
Unveils Second Game Trailer for Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna); Confirms Release Date
Innovative 'World Games' Title to Launch November 4, 2014 for
PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC
E-Line Media, under the Upper One Games brand, today released the second game trailer of its anticipated debut title, Never Alone (also known as "Kisima Ingitchuna" in Iñupiat, an Alaska Native language). The company also confirmed the title's official release date of November 4, 2014-available as a downloadable title for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, with a SRP of $14.99. The new game trailer can be viewed at: www.neveralonegame.com The game is being showcased this week in the ID@Xbox section of Microsoft's booth at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany.
Never Alone is the first title in an exciting new genre known as 'World Games', which E-Line is pioneering to bring carefully selected traditional stories from indigenous cultures around the world to life in innovative and compelling ways for global audiences.
In Never Alone, players take on the roles of Nuna, a young Iñupiaq girl and an Arctic fox, in an atmospheric puzzle platformer combining traditional folklore, stories, settings, and characters handed down over many generations by Alaska Native people whose roots and heritage date back millennia. Featuring imagery and themes drawn directly from Iñupiat and other Alaska Native cultures, Never Alone features striking visuals; emphasizes the sensibilities and perspective of these indigenous Arctic people; and requires players to work cooperatively to succeed in challenging and harsh environments.
E-Line Media has assembled a power-house development team that includes Iñupiat elders and storytellers to ensure the game's cultural authenticity, along with the creative director of such all-time classics such as Interstate '76 and MechWarrior II and a seasoned team that includes members who oversaw the releases of Tomb Raider: Underworld, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Tomb Raider: Legend; led character and art development for the SOCOM series of games; and contributed to many titles with iD Software.
Never Alone Key Features Include:
• 1- and 2-player modes, both involving cooperative play (in single-player mode, the player can switch between the roles of Nuna and Fox at any time).
• 8 sweeping chapters that take players across treacherous ice floes, Arctic tundra, ice caves, boreal forests, cliff-built coastal villages, and more.
• Game story, settings, characters and game play inspired by traditional Iñupiat folklore, including the story of Kunuuksaayuka (Koo-nook-sah-yoo-ka), a story that has been handed down for generations among the Iñupiaq people.
• Encounters with traditional Alaska Native folklore characters such as Manslayer, Blizzard Man, Sky People, and the Little People.
• Exclusive unlock-able cultural Insights into the Iñupiat way of life, told by both Alaska Native elders and youth.
• Dynamic weather effects – brace against blizzards and use wind to leap to areas that are otherwise inaccessible.
• Challenging puzzles that require both characters to work together; Nuna and Fox each have unique skills and abilities.
• Reveal hidden Iñupiat helping spirits and use their aid to assist Nuna and Fox in their quest.
About E-line Media
E-Line Media, which recently merged with Upper One Games to jumpstart the 'World Games' genre for global audiences, is an entertainment and education company that harnesses the power of digital games and game-based learning to help youth and young adults thrive in a complex, globally connected and rapidly changing world. E-Line partners with academic researchers, foundations, government agencies and social entrepreneurs to develop and publish game-based products and services across both consumer and educational channels. E-Line's consumer games are designed to fire the imagination, catalyze curiosity and create gateways to new ideas, themes and interests; the company's game-infused blended learning and community platform enables pathways of learning from middle school through college and beyond.
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 500 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic, Camera / optical
- Video outputs HDMI
- Weight 6.17 lb
- Released 2013-11-15
Microsoft Xbox One