- Speed and features With a RAM upgrade to 8GB it performs quite nicely for basic functions, but the GPU is a bit lacking for gaming.
- Design and form factor The palm rest has a sharp edge that digs into my wrist, and the bottom burns my lap if I use it too long. On a coffee table you're hunched over.
- Battery life I have it plugged in to the AC adapter most of the time, if I don't, the battery warning crops up fairly quickly. The battery itself dies too.
- Display I wish it were matte rather than glossy, but otherwise it works fine.
- Durability On the one hand it survived a nasty drop and keeps working. On the other hand the case is now warped and it's almost impossible for me to use the LAN port.
- Expandability RAM upgrade, that's it. And it only has 2 USB ports.
- Noise I can always hear the fan going a bit in the background, the hard drive usually keeps quiet, but when there's heavy read/write action it's noisy.
- Portability (size / weight) The size is actually quite good, but it's damn heavy. I don't like taking it with me anywhere. Might as well get a bigger screen for the encumbrance.
A number of the design flaws are still present in current MacBooks - it's really not worth getting any of them.
0 people find this review helpful
Battery life rating changed from 3 to 2
Edited comment on Battery life
Edited comment on Design and form factor
Updated detailed review