Color me confused on this one. A company called Advanced Technetix, Inc has popped up out of nowhere and started a Consumer Products division to unleash a seemingly pointless and mighty unattractive product targeted at iPod users. Their website is barren except for contact info and a tag line that says "The Future is Coming." Well we have seen the future, and it is butt-ugly.
The CEO is quoted in the press release as saying "The Visual Remote works with any version [*] of the iPod, does not require any batteries and features a backlit LCD display that enables iPod users to completely control their device from this very small, unobtrusive unit. We are currently developing a wireless version of the Visual Remote and expect to have that version of the product available shortly." Since the iPod already has a backlit LCD for navigation and is barely bigger than this monstrosity, I'm not sure why you'd need it.
Other selling points are said to include:
- Ability to control the iPod without removing it from your bag or pocket (because we know how strenuous a task that can be)
- Display allows for full menu functionality and control (just like if you took your iPod out of your pocket )
- Backlit LCD screen (just like your iPod has)
- Specially designed sound isolating earbuds (I hope they sound better than this thing looks)
- Draws minimal power from iPod (I'm hoping that's not marketing speak for "sucks battery life like a vacuum")
- Designed for easy one hand operations (much like your iPod)
- Easy to wear, comfortable fit (except for the fact that it's this ugly thing tethered to you and your iPod)
- Connects to all iPods via Dock Connector (so much for any* version)
- Great for exercise (think of all those calories you'll burn running away from the fashion police and the cool kids who want to beat you up just for sport)