Want to jailbreak your 1.1.1 iPhone so you can access all its files and install third party apps? Don't want to wait for Niacin's patch to leave beta? Here's a published method direct from the team. It may look similar to the iPhone Alley hack that is making the rounds but this isn't a derivative or leaked guide. This hack provides jailbreak, activation, and third party applications. The iPhone Alley hack is a actually copy of an early team method that someone leaked.
So does that mean this will be more reliable or a better version? Not necessarily. However, the guys have been working hard on this for quite some time and they are pretty confident about their method.
The hack applies only to the iPhone at this time and is not meant for iPhones with modified basebands. An iPod touch jailbreak will be published at a later date. For the actual hack procedure, check out this zip file (mirror here). You'll find detailed instructions on:
- Downgrading to 1.0.2 (if necessary)
- Preparing the iPhone for a jailbroken update
- Performing a software update, leaving you with a jailbroken v1.1.1
- Forcing v1.1.1 to mount read-write so you can access it
- Installing SSH and BSD world
- Activating with a Non-ATT SIM
- Patching SpringBoard to allow third-party applications