Reluctant to update your PSP to the latest firmware? You may want to reconsider. The latest firmware offers PSP users the ability to access T-Mobile's wi-fi service for free. T-Mobile HotSpots can be found at over 8,000 locations across the US, and can be found in Starbucks, Borders, FedEx Kinko's, Hyatt, Red Roof Inns, Sofitel and Novotel Hotels, and select airports. Now, you'll be able to frag friends through Infrastructure almost anywhere in the US ... for free! How sweet is that?
I went to a Starbucks to test it out, and found the process is quite easy:
- Bring your PSP® system to a location that provides a T-Mobile HotSpot. (Refer to the T-Mobile HotSpot U.S. Location Map.)
- Select (Network Settings) under (Settings).
- Select [Infrastructure Mode].
- Select [New Connection].
- Select [Use Wireless Hotspot].
- Select the T-Mobile HotSpot icon.
- If you have an existing T-Mobile HotSpot account, select [Enter User Credentials].
Enter your user ID and password, and then press the right button.
If you do not have an account, select [Use Promotional Access] to sign up for a complimentary six-month T-Mobile HotSpot account. (To qualify for this promotional access, you must authenticate your PSP® system to the T-Mobile HotSpot network prior to March 28, 2008.)
- Check the contents of the settings list.
- Save the settings.