The Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection includes the original MGS, MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence (sans Disc 2). For MGS2, that includes:
- The original MGS2: Sons of Liberty, with new infrared effects and new dog tags.
- Boss Survival and Casting Theater, both found in the original PAL and Japanese version.
- 300 VR missions and 200 "Alternate missions"
- Snake Tales, a series of non-canonical missions featuring Snake
- A demo for Evolution Skateboarding featuring Snake and Raiden shredding the Big Shell
Since MGS3: Subsistence
is without its second disk, there's no online mode. However, you still get the new 3rd-person camera mode with the main game, as well as a demo theater to watch in-game cinematics. For more on what's being left out of disc two, check out The Metal Gear Wikia
are referred to as "Director's Cuts," that means it has expanded the game and included more than the original release of the title. For example, the Japanese and PAL editions of the original MGS2
had Boss Survival and Casting Theater (the game was released in North America first, which might pose an explanation for their exclusion).
Some director's cuts also fix up localization and translation errors. Despite the occasional wishful thinking
, we couldn't think of a director's cut of a game that excluded content.