Carrion Surprise requires Cooking (175) and greys out at 255. The recipe is easier to get for Hordies than for Alliance: Banalash in Swamp of Sorrows, Kireena in Desolace, Ogg'marr the Butcher in Dustwallow Marsh and – the only Alliance option – the quest-related Vendor Tron 1000 in Desolace.
Mystery Meat (12 oz. hot dogs or SPAM(R))
2 cups carrots
2 cups potatoes (whatever's on hand – even sweet potato works)
1 large onion
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup beer
1 Tablespoon mustard
1. Slice and Dice the yard trash. Chop the vegetables and the Mystery Meat into uniform slices. We like to target ¼- to ½ inch carrot rounds and then try to match the rest from there. Bigger chunks and slices mean longer grilling times.
2. Prepare encounter-specific consumables. In a small bowl, combine the honey, beer and mustard. Give this to your casters.
3. Position. Pull out a good length of foil – 12 to 18 inches – and place half the Mystery Meat and half the veggies (mixed) in the center. Do the same with the second half of the carrion and veggies.
4. AE debuff. Have your casters debuff each pile with the honey-beer mixture. (It's not necessary to time this simultaneously for each group; the mobs don't aggro.)
5. Initiate melee. Melee initiates the fight by running in to fold up each foil section into a loose packet, sealing the edges well and securely containing all mobs.
5. Full DPS. From here on out, it's all about sustained DPS. Fire those bad boys over a medium-hot grill for 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Attempting to loot before the encounter is complete will cause high-level Steam NPCs to add, featuring an undispellable DoT that does considerable damage to the tank's main-hand weapon. (In fact, WoW Insider has noted that players have never been given access to this powerful NPC ability; we need a good forum rant on this one, folks.) Use cc and caution when opening the foil packets, either during or after cooking.
The most piquant quality of Carrion Surprise is the ready availability of its various ingredients, including untested beta items. Loot whatever corpses you find in nearby zones – the Prairie of Paltry Pantry, the Wasteland of Frozen Floes or the Chilled Casket of Forgotten Delights. Denser meat from beasts will cook more slowly than pre-processed Mystery Meat, so adjust chopped ingredient sizes and cooking times accordingly.
- Add Hot Spices -- crushed red pepper flakes, pepper, paprika or garlic powder (not all at once, please) -- for a more volatile taste.
- Off-spec mustard (Dijon, honey mustard) gets the job done fine in this encounter.
Impress your friends with homemade treats that pair perfectly with your World of Warcraft adventures. No matter what your Cooking skill, you'll have fun whipping up some of our delicious snacks, meals and beverages.