Blogger Michael Arrington at TechCrunch pointed out an amazing, yet somewhat obvious, thing yesterday -- at some point next week, the number of iPhone 3Gs in use around the world will exceed the number of first-generation iPhones.
The statistics are astounding:
- 6 million original iPhones were sold in about one year
- It took 74 days for the first million first-generation iPhones to sell
- A million iPhone 3Gs were sold the first weekend they were on sale
- Sources estimate anywhere from 750,000 - 800,000 iPhones are being made each week
- Apple is on track to sell more than 40 million iPhones in the next year