In 115 catches down in the sewers (I spend most of my time at the fountain, I confess), I came up with the following:
- 64 Sewer Carp -- This cooks up into a basic health-restoring food, nothing too special. You're not down here for this stuff.
- 35 Magic Eaters -- Now this is where things get amusing. Spending at least 10 seconds eating this will...leave you a changed person. More accurately, it will change you from a person into a dragon whelp, a basilisk, a wasp, or a wisp, or it will give you a random food buff like +60 attack power or 12 mp5 in addition to +30 stamina. El's Extreme Anglin', which is still by far the best resource on WoW fishing, has the exact numbers here. Think of it as a fun little thing to experiment with when you're bored with Savory Deviate Delight
- 6 Partially Eaten Fish -- You'll see a lot of rats running around the sewers. This is off the carte du jour.
- 3 Drowned Rats -- What happens when the rats swim too soon after eating said fish, I can only assume.
- 2 Leaded Vials -- You'll occasionally get lower-level alchemy vials like this and:
- 5 Empty Vials -- Give 'em to an alchemist friend or just vendor them.
More importantly, what I didn't
fish up -- a Giant Sewer Rat
. This little (sort of) guy is the object of the I Smell A Giant Rat
achievement, which is a sub-achievement of the Accomplished Angler
, so if you want "Salty" in front of your name, you will
eventually need to get him.
The good news? The rat should be (on average) easier, or at least more straightforward, to get than the crawdad pet, which was only a 20% drop on what was already a 1 in 500 chance
. The bad news? You're still going to spend a lot of time looking for it anyway. The consoling news? You'll need 1,000 catches under your belt to get the 1,000 Fish
achievement, which you also need for Accomplished Angler.
And they do mean fish
; I tested this and found that no amount of fishing up boxes, coins, etc. counted toward the achievement. So if you're hanging around Dalaran in Wrath
in much the same way you hang around in Shattrath now, and you want to put some work in toward the achievement, head for the sewers rather than the fountain if you don't yet have the pet. After you finally get the rat (no hard numbers on the drop rate as yet; El's Extreme Anglin' theorizes it's less than a 1% drop
), it's probably a more effective use of your time to hit the fountain for work on the fishing achievements you'll need there (you can also get fish from the fountain
, just not as commonly as in the sewers). Between those and the fish you'll probably be getting outside of Dalaran for cooking, getting 1,000 actually isn't as tough as it sounds; I'm at 332 catches right now in the beta without really even trying. More to come soon on the Dalaran fountain.