Games for Windows - LIVE Levels Up PC Gamers With New In-Game Display, Marketplace and Upcoming Premium Downloadable Content
"Fallout 3," "Grand Theft Auto IV" and "James Bond 007: Quantum of Solace" coming to Games for Windows - LIVE this holiday season.
REDMOND, Wash. - Nov. 13, 2008 - Microsoft Corp. today unveiled significant updates to the Games for Windows - LIVE online gaming service, enhancing the service to provide an unmatched Windows multiplayer experience and excite the growing online gaming community. These compelling changes build on the foundation of Games for Windows - LIVE, which allows gamers to connect and play with their friends for free, and includes unique features such as Achievements, TrueSkill matchmaking, voice and text chat, and a single identity (Gamertag) that works across both Windows and Xbox 360.
- Redesigned for PC Gamers. Available for immediate download, the revitalized in-game display provides quick and easy access to the full set of Games for Windows - LIVE features, optimized for use with a keyboard and mouse, and built from the ground up with PC gamers in mind.
- Games for Windows - LIVE Marketplace. In early December, users will be able to easily download exciting game trailers, demos and add-on game content such as extended chapters and new characters, as well as give publishers a straightforward way to extend the experience of their Games for Windows - LIVE titles for consumers around the world.
"The online space is and will remain the driving force behind Windows gaming, and we're taking steps to ensure that Games for Windows - LIVE provides a unique online home for PC gamers," said John Schappert, corporate vice president of LIVE, Software and Studios at Microsoft. "This new release was designed specifically with our community of PC gamers and game developers in mind. It's a natural next step in delivering a world-class online service for Windows gamers."
The free Games for Windows - LIVE service is an integral part of some of the most popular and highly anticipated games on any platform:
- "Fallout 3" (Bethesda Softworks LLC)
- "Grand Theft Auto IV" (Rockstar Games)
- "James Bond 007: Quantum of Solace" (Activision Publishing Inc.)
- "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II" (THQ Inc.)
- "Red Faction: Guerrilla" (THQ)
- "Battlestations: Pacific" (Eidos Interactive Ltd.)
Bethesda Softworks' revolutionary hit "Fallout 3" will be the first to distribute premium downloadable content directly to gamers via the Games for Windows - LIVE Marketplace. "Fallout 3" is already a leading candidate for game of the year, and the complete "Fallout" story, including new quests, foes and weapons, will be available exclusively on Games for Windows - LIVE and Xbox LIVE for Xbox 360.
"Games for Windows - LIVE helps us expand the 'Fallout 3' universe and bring the full experience directly to gamers," said Pete Hines, vice president of public relations and marketing for Bethesda Softworks. "Through the Marketplace we now have a no-nonsense way to deliver updates and great downloadable content. It's really a complete package, and a great fit for 'Fallout 3.'"