Sorting through the tips inbox, we encountered a new product that is coming out for the iPhone next week. It's not an app, game, or anything we "normal folk" would use but it looks to be a great open source, web-based development platform for iPhone.
WidgetPad allows web developers to create iPhone applications using only their knowledge in web-based code. The software allows you to write your applications using web-based code and then transfer them to standalone apps for the iPhone or iPod touch.
We're being told that the iPhone is only the beginning; the software will eventually translate to other smart phone platforms so that developers can quickly and easily export their applications for other app stores without re-writing the code. Here are some quick highlights:
- Create web-based applications that utilize each phone's hardware capabilities.
- The environment includes and helps you learn HTML 5.
- It's all open source. If you want another feature, you can help the development team create it.
- Each application is written within the software and can be publish directly to the iPhone (more platforms soon).
- No additional software - all of the work is done directly from your browser.