After making their grand debut at this year's CEDIA Expo, JVC's line of Procision and Reference series projectors have finally begun marching out to market. The manufacturer announced the news this week, confirming that its array of seven new projectors are now available for purchase, with prices ranging from $3,500 to $12,000. All seven devices
feature JVC's proprietary e-Shift technology, and are capable of projecting images in 3840 x 2160 resolution -- not exactly 4K, but still four times what you'll get with full HD. The Procision Series, including the DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R and DLA-X30, is geared toward the consumer market, while the Reference Series (DLA-RS65, DLA-RS55, DLA-RS4800 and DLA-RS45) is now available through JVC's Professional Products Company. For more details on pricing and availability, check out the full PR after the break.
Update: So, we got a little mixed up by the poorly worded JVC press release, but it looks like only the DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R, DLA-RS65 and DLA-RS55 actually sport the company's e-Shift tech.
Show full PR text
Now Available, New JVC Projectors That Display Images With 4K Precision
Four new THX® 3D Certified models use e-Shift technology to upconvert images to four times the resolution of Full HD
New JVC home theater projectors that display 2D HD content with full 4K precision are now shipping. Announced at CEDIA Expo in September, the new models feature JVC's new e-Shift technology capable of projecting images with 3840 x 2160 pixel resolution, four times that of full HD. The upconverting technology is available in four of seven new 3D-enabled projectors that boast a wide range of advancements, including higher native contrast than previous models for levels that remain unmatched by any other home theater projector.
The new projectors are the Procision Series DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R and DLA-X30, marketed by JVC's Consumer Electronics Group, and the Reference Series DLA-RS65, DLA-RS55, DLA-RS4800 and DLA-RS45, available through JVC Professional Products Company. JVC's 4K e-Shift technology is featured in the top four models, which are also THX® 3D Certified. All seven new projectors offer other advancements that boost picture quality, improve 3D performance and enhance functionality.
Earlier this year NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories, NHK Engineering Service Inc. and JVC Kenwood Corporation collaborated in the development of a Super High Vision projection system that utilizes e-Shift technology. Now, that technology is available in the DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R, DLA-RS65 and DLA-RS55. Using e-Shift, 2D HD content is upconverted and scaled to a 4K signal (3840 x 2160) and the e-Shift technology displays it at full 4K precision. Compared to a Full HD (1920 x 1080) image, that's twice the horizontal and vertical resolution and four times the number of pixels, or over 8 megapixels. The result is a stunningly detailed image with minimal aliasing artifacts found in standard HD displays.
All seven projectors are 3D-enabled and offer several 3D performance and feature enhancements:
· 2D-to-3D Converter – Converts 2D program material to 3D using technology derived from JVC's professional 2D-to-3D converter. Included are user adjustments for 3D depth and subtitle geometry correction;
· JVC's 3D anamorphic feature combined with an optional anamorphic lens make it possible to enjoy 3D movies in the popular 2:35 scope format;
· Compatibility with a wider range of 3D broadcasts, including 1080p/24 and 720p side-by-side formats;
· Brighter 3D images than previous models are possible through the use of an improved driver that keeps the shutter on the active shutter 3D glasses open longer, thus allowing more light to enter, while at the same time minimizing cross talk;
· A Cross Talk Canceller further reduces cross talk through analysis of the left eye and right eye signals and applying appropriate correction;
· A parallax adjustment allows the user to tailor the 3D image effect;
· Direct access to 3D formats and settings on the remote control.
In addition, the top four models -- DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R, DLA-RS65 and DLA-RS55 – are THX® 3D Certified. During the THX 3D Certification process, more than 400 laboratory tests are conducted, evaluating color accuracy, cross-talk, viewing angles and video processing to ensure the superior out-of-the-box 3D and 2D display performance that home theater enthusiasts demand.
Other features shared by these four models include:
· ISF certification;
· Enhanced installation adjustment, including a new 1/16th pixel shift function to precisely tune convergence via 121 adjustment points (11 vertical x 11 horizontal) and an increased number of screen mode preset positions, up to a maximum of 255;
· An upgraded optical engine that further improves black level and native contrast;
· 7-Axis Color Management System;
· ISF and THX Calibration via corresponding software to allow advanced adjustment by certified ISF calibrators;
· Three Xenon lamp color modes that emulate the characteristics of high-end movie projectors.
Other enhancements new for all seven 2012 projectors are:
· Lens memory function – Three memory settings store custom focus, zoom and horizontal/vertical lens shift position. This allows a constant height display of 4:3, 16:9 and 2:35 scope content without an additional anamorphic lens;
· LAN connection that provides enhanced system control and firmware or screen mode updates.
To provide enthusiasts with a true measure of performance, JVC has long focused on native contrast and refused to artificially enhance contrast specifications through the use of a dynamic iris. For 2012, native contrast has been improved across the entire line, ensuring that every frame consistently and faithfully reproduces peak whites and deep blacks.
The new flagship projectors, the DLA-X90R and DLA-RS65, are built using hand-selected, hand-tested components and provide a 120,000:1 native contrast ratio. For 3D viewing, both models come with two pairs of 3D glasses and a PK-EM1 3D Signal Emitter. Both projectors also have a three-year warranty.
The DLA-X70R and DLA-RS55 offer 80,000:1 native contrast ratio, while the DLA-X30 and DLA-RS45 offer 50,000:1 native contrast ratio. All four come with a two-year warranty. The DLA-RS4800 is ISF certified, offers a 55,000:1 native contrast ratio, comes with a three-year warranty, and includes a spare lamp. JVC PK-AG2 Active Shutter 3D Glasses and the PK-EM1 3D Signal Emitter are sold separately.
All seven new projectors feature three 0.7" 1920 x 1080 D-ILA devices and are designed around JVC's third generation D-ILA High Dynamic Range optical engine that is optimized to provide exceptional native contrast ratios without a dynamic iris to artificially enhance contrast specifications. A directed light integration system and wire grid polarizer ensures optimum light uniformity and minimal crosstalk in the light path. In the top four models (DLA-X90R, DLA-X70R, DLA-RS65 and DLA-RS55) a combined 16-step lens and lamp aperture adjustment allow the user to optimize the f-number (relative aperture) of the optics system in all steps. The DLA-X30, DLA-RS45 and DLA-RS4800 feature a 16-step lens aperture.
The new JVC D-ILA home theater projectors are now available at the following prices: