One of the major features that sets Tango apart from similar services is its look. The new desktop app, which is available for download at the source link below, holds tightly to its mobile roots with an iPhone-inspired skin (we're told more popular device skins will be available soon). Once in action, it actually had us poking at a touch-less monitor. Done laughing? It's still a bit gimmicky for our taste, but, hey, it had us fooled. Tango's other big boast is its quick and easy start up, which means no password is required, just your name and phone number. Once that's in, Tango will start searching for folks you might actually know; it accurately pulled up our mobile editor, Myriam Joire, who we found hitting the floor at a conference in Seattle. We could keep on typing, but instead let's let the video do the talking.
TANGO EXTENDS SERVICE TO INCLUDE THE PC
Company Achieves Many Milestones in First Year
PALO ALTO, Calif., September 30, 2011 – Tango, the leader in mobile video communications, announced that its free video calling service used by more than 23 million people worldwide, is available today on the PC – one year since the company's initial launch on iOS and Android devices.
The new PC product shows its mobile roots with the same look and feel as Tango on the phone. Once downloaded, people enter their existing mobile number to create their Tango account, and the app automatically finds friends to video call. For existing Tango members, it's easy to sync accounts. People can also invite friends to connect with through email or text. Tango for the PC was built to be intuitive and as simple as making a phone call.
People can Tango between the PC, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch, iPad, and hundreds of Android phones and Tablets.
"Our ability to develop Tango for personal computers, while continuing to ensure that Tango is available on more than 450 mobile devices within our first year, is a testament to the dedication and efforts of our team in the U.S. and China," said Uri Raz, Tango's co-founder and CEO. "Introducing Tango for the PC has been the number one request by our users, and with 1.5 billion PCs in use worldwide today it's a platform we wanted to embrace. We've doubled our usage since June and introducing Tango for the PC will accelerate our growth."
Tango Turns One
Since debuting on September 30, 2010, Tango achieved several milestones over the past year. Tango surpassed one million registrations in its first 10 days, and debuted as the number one Social Networking application in the App Store in its first week. It has since remained one of the top 10 Social Networking apps in the App Store and Android Market. Today, Tango has more than 23 million people in 190 countries using the service, and is adding 70,000 to 80,000 new members each day.
Tango's rapid growth stems from invitations sent by users within the application to friends and family, and by word-of-mouth, which accounts for 75 percent of new registrations. The remaining 25 percent comes from discovery in the application stores.
To keep up with growing demand, Tango has also grown internally. At launch, the company employed 20 people, mostly engineers, and has grown to a team of 85 people in the U.S. and China. The company is also fast on execution, delivering a new release to the market on average, every two weeks.
The adoption of Tango has moved from iOS to Android. At launch, 80 percent of all Tango downloads were for iOS devices compared to only 35 percent today, due to the larger volume of available Android devices. In fact, Tango supports 450 Android phones and tablets, more than any other video calling service, and is present on nine percent of all Android devices in use globally. Tango continues to ensure its service is available on emerging smartphone platforms.
"Last year we hit the ground running and pushed the limits of what could be done on mobile," said Eric Setton, cofounder and CTO of Tango. "We lead the market on mobile and will continue to based on new partnerships paired with our aggressive product roadmap. We've delivered on virality and growth, quality, hiring, and coverage of devices and platforms, and the next 12 months will focus on monetization."
Tango is available in the App Store and Android Market, and for the PC, available as a free download at www.tango.me.