Broadcom's high performance set-top box solutions now support Myriad's Alien Vue solution, simplifying the delivery of the Android ecosystem to TVs
Opens door to thousands of new apps and entertainment services
Demonstrated for the first time at 2012 International CES
Las Vegas – International CES 2012 – January 4, 2012 - Myriad Group AG (SIX: MYRN), the company powering billions of rich mobile social and web experiences on any connected device, and Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications today announced a joint effort to drive the Android ecosystem to televisions. Myriad's Alien Vue is now supported on a range of Broadcom set-top box platforms, simplifying the delivery of a new suite of Android-based interactive apps to the TV.
"Broadcom is pleased to support Myriad Alien Vue, driving popular Android apps to the TV," said Aidan O'Rourke, Senior Director, Set-Top Box, Broadcom. "This enables a quick solution for set-top boxes using legacy operating systems to seamlessly deliver an exciting Android-based entertainment experience."
The Myriad and Broadcom solution provides TV viewers an Android-like environment with access to thousands of new apps and entertainment services. Broadcom-enabled STBs with Myriad Alien Vue also support plug-ins like Myriad Connect & Share, which offer multi-screen functionality for personal and premium content. This DLNA solution gives TV consumers access to the Android marketplace while offering operators increased revenue opportunities.
"Alien Vue provides a great alternative to those who want to harness the Android ecosystem, while leveraging existing investments and retaining control of their customer's TV experience," said Simon Wilkinson, Chief Executive Officer, Myriad Group.
Delivers 2x Home Network Performance for Industry's Top Operators; Showcases Innovation for 2012 CES Show
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- 2012 International CES –
• MoCA 2.0 more than doubles available home network bandwidth and enhances video quality and distribution in the home.
• Enables more energy efficient systems with advanced power management technology for low power sleep and Wake-on-Lan (WOL) modes.
• Supports higher levels of security for enhanced content protection.
• MoCA 2.0 is supported by top operators including Charter, Cogeco, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Rogers Communications Inc., Time Warner Cable and Verizon's FiOS services.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced one of its showcase innovations at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) - the industry's first MoCA 2.0-Integrated Portfolio including six new set-top box (STB) and Hybrid IP Gateway system on a chip (SoC) platforms. See how Broadcom enables the next wave of whole-home networking at Experience Broadcom@CES.
By integrating MoCA 2.0 directly in the STB SoC Broadcom's new comprehensive portfolio of HD STB and Hybrid IP Gateway solutions realize the benefits of MoCA 2.0 including double the video bandwidth, increased security and lower power. Broadcom's BCM7425 Dual HD Transcoding Gateway STB SoC features dual HD decoding and dual transcoding support for streaming simultaneous video broadcast content wirelessly to multiple devices, paving the way for advanced services like video conferencing and faster channel change with Broadcom's FastRTV® technology.
• Top operator support for MoCA 2.0 includes Charter, Cogeco, Comcast, Cox Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Rogers Communications Inc., Time Warner Cable and Verizon's FiOS services.
• Broadcom's 40nm MoCA 2.0-integrated STB and Gateway platforms are powered by its high performance dual-thread Zephyr (MIPS®-based) CPU that delivers 3000 DMIPS with industry-leading processor capability. Designs include the following:
◦ BCM7429 Multi-Room HD-DVR STB SoC
◦ BCM7428 IP HD STB Client SoC
◦ BCM7425 Dual HD/Dual Transcoding Hybrid Gateway STB SoC
◦ BCM7422 Dual HD Hybrid Gateway STB SoC
◦ BCM3325 Hybrid IP Transcoding Gateway SoC
◦ BCM3322 Hybrid IP Gateway SoC
• MoCA 2.0 redefines the standard for video distribution in the home by providing more than double the throughput performance and capacity compared to MoCA 1.1; critical power management capabilities for new low power requirements; and enhanced security for additional content protection.
• MoCA 2.0 supports an improved packet error rate, enabling higher quality of service levels for operators.
• MoCA 2.0 enables the effective use of higher numbers of tuner/demods being integrated into next generation STB and gateway devices.
• MoCA 2.0 provides complete interoperability with MoCA 1.0 and 1.1 while also providing full performance with MoCA 2.0 nodes.