Latest in Australia

Image credit:

Smoking iPhone emphasizes importance of authorized repair work


An iPhone self-ignited during a Regional Express flight in Australia due to a faulty repair. According to a Sydney Morning Post article, the smoking phone was spotted by a cabin crew member, shortly after the plane landed at the Sydney Airport on November 25, 2011. The crew member asked the passenger to throw the overheating device into the aisle and blasted it with a fire extinguisher.

The iPhone was sent to the US for analysis where it was discovered that a faulty repair created a short circuit in the device. According to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau report, an unauthorized repair facility had pierced the battery's casing when it misplaced a screw during re-assembly of the iPhone. This created a short circuit which caused the battery to overheat and smoke.

From around the web

ear iconeye icontext filevr