SuperData Research and Newzoo released reports today forecasting strong growth in the MMO industry. According to the analysts, worldwide spending on MMOs will top $12 billion this year, and that's not all: The companies also predict that this number will increase to a whopping $17.5 billion in 2015.
Other facts released in the reports:
- Yearly MMO market growth increased by 14% in the U.S. and 24% in Germany.
- The number of MMOs in the field has doubled since the start of 2011.
- Twenty-three of the 50 million U.S. MMO gamers spend money on subscriptions or microtransactions, a 3% increase from 2011. The yearly average amount spent is $127.
- More German players spend money on MMOs than in the U.S. -- 13% more, to be exact.
- Free-to-play revenues in the U.S. now account for 50% of the market, up from 39% in 2010.
- Science-fiction MMOs make up to three times as much money as their fantasy counterparts.
[Source: SuperData Research/Newzoo press release]