MiiPC, the world's first family Android PC, adds a double memory feature with just 7 days to go
MiiPC, the PC aimed at parents that smashed its funding goal on Kickstarter within 24 hours, today announces that lucky backers can double the memory of their device easily. In addition, MiiPC now comes with a free built-in microphone for everyone. The hit Kickstarter project is upsetting the traditional PC market by launching the first family computer on Android, and now provides the option to double MiiPC's memory from 1GB (RAM) and 4GB (Flash) to 2GB (RAM) and 8GB (Flash) for just $15 before their campaign ends in a week's time.
MiiPC smashed its funding goal by raising $50,000 in just 22 hours and 43 minutes from its official launch on Kickstarter, and allows parents to monitor their kids' online activities in real time. Parents can let their children surf the web, play games, watch media and do their homework, safe in the knowledge that they are not being exposed to inappropriate content or distractions. By doubling the memory of the device people can enjoy increased multi-tasking performance; better & faster task switching between apps; and enhanced performance on larger and complicated apps or files.
Young Soung, Founder of MiiPC, explains: "Throughout the campaign our backers have enquired as to whether they can upgrade the memory of their MiiPC, and we have been listening. We are very excited to offer the double memory option to all of our Kickstarter backers and new backers alike at an affordable price, for those who want to get more performance headroom with their MiiPC devices".
Those who pre-order MiiPC will also receive a free built-in microphone to accompany their device as an added bonus. The device already comes with a HDMI connection, so it can be hooked up to computer monitors and most modern TVs and with two USB ports - meaning the whole experience is optimized to provide a true keyboard and mouse experience. Parents can then determine what their children can and can't have access to via the MiiPC companion mobile app, whether they're at work, the supermarket, or a restaurant.
With total funding secured MiiPC will now go into production, ready to deliver to early bird backers in July. Right now those who pre-order MiiPC will receive the device at a special Kickstarter price of $99 ($114 with the memory upgrade) before their campaign ends on May 8th, 2013. After their Kickstarter campaign finishes additional devices will be available at www.miipc.com at the regular price of $129 ($149 with double memory).
Double memory option
● For existing backers you can upgrade from the 1GB (RAM) and 4GB (Flash) to 2GB (RAM) and 8GB (Flash) for $15 before the Kickstarter campaign ends
● New backers can also order the new package of 2GB (RAM) and 8GB (Flash) for $114 ($99 + $15) by selecting the appropriate Kickstarter reward
Benefits of larger system RAM include
● Overall increased multi-tasking performance when using multiple Android apps, better & faster task switching
● Enhanced performance on larger & complicated apps (e.g. photo/video editors, complex games, XBMC-like Media Center) or open larger/more complex files
Key features of MiiPC
● Companion MiiPC mobile app allows parents to monitor and adjust their children's activities in real time, whether they're at home or out of the house – so perfect for busy or working parents
● Internet security is no longer a worry as parents can be assured that their children aren't viewing unsuitable content
● Unlimited multi-user accounts can be set-up for different family members, giving each different access to suitable apps and games. Makes it easy to spot if one member is hogging the computer/helps stop family squabbles over computer use
● MiiPC is a fully functioning computer that runs on only 8.5 - 10 watts - 10x less than the average computer, so environmentally friendly and cheaper to run
MiiPC runs on Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) leveraging the ever-growing Android application ecosystem. To complete the desktop computing experience MiiPC comes with access to a Web Apps Center, which will include productivity, games, entertainment, multimedia and educational selections.
Full specifications include:
● Processor: Marvell® ARMADA® Family Series Dual Core1.2GHz SoC
● Storage: 4GB Internal Flash (expandable via SD Slot and USB port) – 8GB if double memory option chosen
● System RAM: 1GB DDR3 SDRAM - 2GB if double memory option chosen
● Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet Port, and Bluetooth (4.0)
● Connect to TV: HDMI (1080p/720p) output
● I/O: 2 USB 2.0 Ports, Speaker & Built-in Microphone
● Free MiiPC Companion Mobile App for iOS and Android
*Keyboard, mouse & HDMI cable are sold separately
You can pre-order MiiPC now at the special Kickstarter price for $99 at: www.miipc.com/kickstarter