The next section of round tables were focused on the collaborative efforts of the devs and the community in building and shaping EverQuest Next. While there is a smattering of other topics sprinkled in, the bulk is dedicated specifically to the Norrathian races and building collaboration. As such, many of the polls were more time-sensitive; some have closed, and some were just more relevant to determining design direction during the specific The Workshop Show series. However, the information is still valuable, and opinions can still be shared on a number of the proposed questions. If you have an opinion on coloring, racial mounts, and architectural styles, this is the collection of inquiries for you.
41. Which of these races should we start with?
This poll is one of the few times you won't be able to add input after a specific time. The building and collaboration polls close after a week of voting. How else would the team get to start on the collaborative process with the players and initiate the building contests in Landmark that will help build EQN? This round the choices were:
- Dark Elf -- 53%
- Dwarf -- 47%
42. Does our initial Dark Elf architecture style guide fit in with your ideas for Dark Elves?
After the Dark Elves won the vote, devs presented the community with an architecture style guide for the race. A follow-up to the previous poll, this question asks for player feedback on that guide. Because of the nature of this question, this poll is also closed.
- Yes! This is exactly how I want to see Dark Elves in EQ Next!
- Mostly, but I have some minor tweaks I'd like to see.
- Somewhat, though I feel there are a few major revisions needed.
- I have a very different direction in mind. Let's discuss!
43. Which player-made Dark Elf Design is your favorite?
To answer this poll, you first have to study the provided pictures. Each one has a definite style, but which one seems more fitting to the Dark Elves to you?
- Hawkear: Interior Castle Entrance
- Fugazi: Tower Top
- Ahnzul: Dark Elf House
- Thelandir: Claw Bridge
44. Which color palette works best for Dark Elves?
If you've been in game anytime recently, then you probably already know which of these choices was the most popular! It is still worth seeing the images the devs provided for comparison though. It seems like I fit in with the crowd here.
This question is quite intriguing because it offers the choice of an albino look for a Dark Elf, something you certainly don't see often. Although that seems almost a contradiction, what about the logic of having pale skin as an underground dweller?
- Very Light
46. Which ground mount do you think Dark Elves should use?
Your ride says a lot about you, right? So what mount should the Dark elves be parading around on? I know what the popular choice for those who follow Drow literature would be, but what about the EQ-specific race?
- Reptilian (lizard, serpent)
- Arthropod (spider, insect)
- Avian (flightless bird, raptor)
- Feline (bigger than SOE Cat!)
47. What should the second race be for The Workshop?
The next closed poll is the second race vote. The Dwarves, who had a strong showing the first time but couldn't quite pull off a win, were given a second chance.
- Dwarves - 48%
- Kerrans - 52%
48. Which of these would be the MOST important improvement for future workshops?
After this first run through the workshop series, devs wanted to know what could be done to improve this collaboration experience.
- Have a week or more break between Workshops
- Extend the time to submit to competition entries beyond 2 weeks
- Provide additional lore
- Something else! Read my idea in the forums.
- None of the above. I thought the Dark Elf round was perfect.
Another time-constrained poll, this one requested feedback on the architectural stylings. This is of course a key component that must be ironed out before the collaborative efforts can continue.
- Love it! This is exactly how I want to see Kerran in EQ Next! -- 37%
- Mostly, but I have some minor tweaks I'd like to see. -- 44%
- Somewhat, though I feel there are a few major revisions needed. -- 13%
- I have a very different direction in mind. Let's discuss! -- 6%
50. Which aspect of the Kerrans will you consider the most important for your Kerran character?
Personality. Motivation. Those are driving forces on the path of life. So what is behind the wheel for the Kerran? It is a driving force
- Relentless ferocity and animal instincts - 1%
- Search for spiritual enlightenment - 48%
- Embracing family and tradition - 29%
- Exploration and discovery - 23%
51. What type of ground mount do you think kerrans prefer to ride?
Although the Kerran are a race that I prefer to see see relying only on their own mobility (just look at the cheetah), it wouldn't be fair if every other race had a special mount and the Kerran didn't. So which do you think would be more fitting for a feline to ride?
- Goat or large antelope variation
- Giant rodent (rat, guinea pig)
- Avian (flightless bird)
- Canine (wolf, etc.)
- Feline (cats)
- Pachyderm (prehistoric rhino or elephant type)
Those who build the EQ games know that appearance is important to the players, so getting appearance questions answered is a big deal. This question, however, threw a few posters off because they mistakenly thought that it was advocating a single appearance. However, Senior Art Director Rosie Rappaport emphasized in the accompanying blog post that there will be a variety and that the devs are looking for the most popular ones to be sure they are included in the mix.
- Black Panther
- Snow Leopard
- Other - Suggest on the Forums!
53. What did you find most interesting from SOE Live 2014?
Breaking away from the collaboration polls, this one focuses on SOE Live. What covered topic did you enjoy hearing about the most? The answer here could possibly influence which information is disseminated next.
- EQ Next Classes
- EQ Next Combat
- EQ Next Lore
- EQ Next Playable Races
- Other (Please Discuss on Forums)
54. Which of EverQuest Next's primary belief systems are you most interested in learning more about?
This final question also veers from the racial building and collaboration. Unfortunately for those who wished to weigh in, it was a time-sensitive vote. With so many players clamoring for more about lore, devs have turned some attention to the deities and belief systems. Which ones should devs share first?
- Veeshan -- 35%
- The Nor'I -- 12%
- The Four -- 23%
- The Seraphs -- 29%
The EverQuest realm is so big that sometimes MJ Guthrie gets lost in it all! Join her as she explores the franchise's nooks and crannies from the Overrealm to Timorous Deep. Running biweekly on Thursdays, the Norrathian Notebook is your resource for all things EverQuest Next and EverQuest II. And keep an eye out for MJ's Massively TV adventures!