Last week we had a look at a very impressive Bluetooth speaker set from Edifier, the e25 Luna Eclipse. Those speakers provided both excellent sound quality and futuristic design, and ended up with a top rating from TUAW. This week I'm looking at Libratone's Loop Wireless Speaker, a high-end entry into the speaker market that marries Scandinavian good looks to AirPlay compatibility.
- Price: US$499.95
- Colors: Salty Gray, Pepper Black, Raspberry Red, Icy Blue (extra wool covers are sold in a variety of colors)
- Connectivity: AirPlay and DLNA support, also supports PlayDirect for streaming directly from a device without need for a Wi-Fi router. Also includes 3.5 mm audio minijack and USB audio jack
- Power: 100-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 40 W power consumption
- Speakers: 2 x 1" ribbon-based tweeters, 5" subwoofer with resonating passive radiator
- Comes with wall mount and duo-stand
Rather than a set of speakers, the Loop is just one disc-shaped speaker. I was reminded of the seat of a stool, or a target for Velcro darts. The speaker is covered in Italian wool, and there are a number of accessory wool covers you can purchase should your cat rip one to shreds or you decide to change the paint color in your home.
The Loop can be wall-mounted or sit on a shelf or table. A pair of legs known as a duo-standn provide a stable platform for the latter, while the wall mount features a small truncated cone that fits into a receptacle on the back of the speaker.