Are you a former Android user moving to the iPhone? Or an iPhone user who wants to switch from Google to iCloud for your online life? Thankfully, migrating between platforms isn't too difficult, especially when it comes to your address book.
Moving your contacts list from Gmail to iCloud takes just a few minutes, requiring only a simple export and import as described in the steps below:
- Open Gmail in your web browser of choice
- Select the "Gmail" link above the "Compose" button in the left corner of the screen
- Use the drop-down menu to select 'Contacts" in order to switch to your address book
- Click on the "More" button above your contacts list and then select "Export"
- Select the group of contacts you want to export and select "vCard" as the format for the export
- Gmail will save a .VCF file with your address book contents to your default downloads folder
- Open iCloud.com and login with the Apple ID you use for iCloud
- Click on the "Contacts" icon to open the online version of your address book
- Click on the settings icon (looks like a gear) in the bottom left corner and select "Import vCard" from the menu
- Locate the .VCF file you downloaded in a previous step and click open to import the contents of the file.
Once the data is imported, you may have use iCloud to delete duplicates and remove any unwanted contacts.