Some Pebble users that link their smartwatch to an iPhone will now be able to reply to text messages straight through their devices. We say "some," because this is a beta release, and the feature's available to a pretty limited number of people for now. To be able to access the capability, you must have a Pebble Time, a Time Steel or a Time Round model, all of which were launched just this year. Plus, you must be an AT&T postpaid subscriber. If you somehow fall within the intersection of that Venn diagram, you'll be able to reply to texts either with a voice or a preloaded message. Pebble says its devices are the first non-Apple smartwatch "to bring voice and text replies to... iPhone users" and that it's working to roll the feature out to more carriers.
Here are the steps to activate Text Reply on iOS
- Update your Pebble Time iPhone app to version 3.4 or higher.
- After updating the iPhone app, update your Pebble Time's firmware to version 3.7 or higher. Select Menu » Support » Update Your Pebble if you aren't prompted automatically.
- From the iOS app, navigate to Menu » Settings » Actionable Notifications to set up Text Replies for the first time.
- Follow the setup instructions.
- After successful setup, notifications received from the Messages app will have the option to reply with voice or a list of pre-defined responses.
- Note: Successfully sent Pebble replies will NOT appear in the iOS Messages app. The reply is sent as an SMS through AT&T directly, and not the Messages app.