Jake Solomon is a man responsible for many lost hours -- as the lead developer in charge of XCOM, he helped create an award-winning tactical strategy game that revolves around an elite team fighting against an alien invasion. A reboot of UFO: Enemy Unknown, XCOM became popular enough to warrant an expansion in 2013 with XCOM: Enemy Within and now, this year, a sequel.
In XCOM 2, scheduled for a Feb. 5th release, aliens are now ruling the Earth. While our new alien overlords appear to be benevolent, they also have a sinister hidden agenda and freely eliminate dissenters of the new order. As before, a force gathers to defend humankind. Here, he gives us the goods on some more lighthearted fare like his favorite GIFs and what tablets are really good for.1. What's the best tech advice you've ever received?
Pay extra for cloud storage. The cloud is magic and unbreakable.
2. What is your worst tech habit?
Using my iPad as a coaster
3. What app(s) can you not live without?
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (For my daughters and long car rides. I swear.)
4. Are you sporting a wearable right now? If so, what is it?
Apple Watch. i.e., $500 step counter.
5. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
When a room gets crowded, I would turn invisible and fly away.
6. What is your #1 tech pet peeve?
Half the time tech is a window to other people's experiences but half the time it's a wall.
7. What is your go-to karaoke song?
Elvis – Are you Lonesome Tonight
8. Who would play you in your biopic?
A down on his luck actor, I imagine.
9. Who is your favorite villain?
Darth Vader. Respect the quiet menace.
10. If you could create an emoji not yet in existence, what would it be?
A smiley face tapping on the glass, saying "Hey asshole, look up from your phone."
11. Tell us a joke.
There is going to be a biopic about me.
12. How do you disconnect?
Go for walks twice a day.
13. What is your favorite GIF?
I'm a sucker for fail gifs.
14. What was the last thing you Googled?
15. If you were a cocktail, what kind of cocktail would you be?
A beer-beer. It's two beers.
16. Show us the last photo you took on your phone.
It's the train station in Baltimore on my way to NY for the XCOM 2 hands-on event there.
17. What device(s) are you currently lusting after?
iPad Pro with that pencil thing.
18. What aspect of your life remains analog?
I chop wood for exercise. Then I burn the wood. Me caveman.
19. Favorite website to waste time on:
ESPN college football.
20. Share your favorite tech tip or trick.
Tablets make good coasters.
21. What reality show would you like to see created?
The Making of the Jake Solomon Biopic: Bottom of the Barrel.
22. Finish this sentence: I would absolutely take a class that taught me how to _
Make my own IPA beers
23. What is the last book you read?
The Dead Zone by Stephen King
24. What are you most excited about in this coming new year?
The arrival of my third daughter. A dad with daughters is a blessed man. I can't wait to meet her.