Engadget and IGN hit us with some Cross Media Bar (XMB) love. These previews of the PlayStation 3 interface, which is adapted from PSP, show how strikingly different Sony's design is from its competitors'. The no-frills UI is easy to navigate, but it's also cold and doesn't invite users to spend time with it the way Xbox 360's "fun" presentation does -- it doesn't shove ads in our faces either.
Still, buried within the simple row of icons and menu stacks are some valuable applications. IGN previews the slick Photo Album feature, which boasts an impressive automated layout mode that puts 360's simplified slideshow tool to shame. Early indications suggest Sony didn't lose sight of the importance of a well-designed multi-tasking interface.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 18
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25