Most intriguing is its deep tie-in to the upcoming Shadow Odyssey expansion to EverQuest 2. That connection was hinted at in our interview with LoN developers Kyle Heuer and Tom Lischke in June of this year. Players will take on the roles of ancient heroes, fighting against the darkness of The Void in the far distant past of Norrath. New gameplay elements will also be introduced, with all-new options for starter decks and deck building. We have the full release formatted below the cut, if you're interested. Look to this space in the near future for our typical art previews and promo art from the new expansion.
LEGENDS OF NORRATH ANNOUNCES SET FIVE: ETHERNAUTS
DENVER, COLO. – September 9, 2008 – Sony Online Entertainment LLC announces that a new card set for the popular online strategy game Legends of Norrath (LoN) is in development at SOE's Denver studio and heading for release next month. Dubbed Ethernauts, this set adds 280 new cards, including new light and shadow cards that add powerful deck customization, 20+ new loot cards for EverQuest and EverQuest II, and a new Starter Pack option that provides gamers with enough cards to build four starter decks for one low price.
"Ethernauts provides gamers the opportunity to play as the great heroes of Norrath," said Scott Martins, director of development for SOE Denver. "This set will give players the whole story behind the events in the upcoming EverQuest II The Shadow Odyssey expansion launching in November. Ethernauts provides gamers the back story and history they need to fully unravel the mysteries of The Shadow Odyssey!"
This set kicks off the newest Legends of Norrath story arc, starting 4,000 years ago when void storms and terrible creatures threatened the very existence of Norrath. Only a handful of brave heroes, the Ethernauts, kept the world from extinction. Players will experience this epic story through Legends of Norrath, taking this knowledge into the present EverQuest II timeline, where strange void storms trouble Norrath once again.
Ethernauts features include:
- New Cards: More than 280 beautiful new cards, including 210 base set cards, 16 new quest cards and more than 30 promotional cards. Ethernauts also adds new unit races, including the Half-elves, the Centaurs and the Treants, as well as 4 new avatar cards.
- New Loot: Ethernauts adds 20+ new loot cards for EverQuest and EverQuest II, including rare and exotic items from the Void, as well as new mounts, cloaks, consumables and baubles.
- New Starter Options: Ethernauts marks the debut of a new Starter Pack, a single, larger pack of cards, capable of making four starter decks for $19.99, plus any applicable taxes. This Starter Pack will replace the individual starter decks for each set of this block, providing all the cards in a single, player-friendly package.
- New Gameplay: Theme your deck with new light/shadow cards that have powerful benefits and consequences. Ethernauts also introduces two new keywords, Fabled and Lookout, which offer new strategies and approaches for raids and one-on-one gameplay.
- New Scenarios: 10 new scenarios let the story of the Ethernauts unfold and allow players to fight against trolls, ogres and void beasts, culminating in an epic battle with Baron and Baroness V'Nol!