Engadget Alt, the most recent addition to the site, is something near and dear to our hearts. This a place where we can comment on (and draw attention to) things that don't exactly fit into the main stream of our coverage, yet resonate with us as writers -- and with you as readers. So, what did we learn this year? Spacecraft are prone to hardware failure, it seems, and Ozzy Osbourne's genome is a wonderful resource for scientists. And one editor-in-chief really, really digs eBoy. Aside from all that, this space has seen a number of feature articles and columns that we're especially proud of. Cruise on past the break for some of our favorites.
Growing Up Geek
A consistent fan favorite, Growing up Geek is where Engadget editors and friends of the site reflect on their youth, and help answer the one question we get asked almost every day: "how did y'all end up like this?"
- Veronica Belmont
- Paul Miller
- Clayton Morris
- Thomas Ricker
- Darren Murph
- Ross Rubin
- Chris Ziegler
- Vlad Savov
Beautifully crafted, well thought out, themed Twitter lists with resources for Microsoft fanboys, gaming aficianados, and more.
- Engadget editors on Twitter
- Cellphone edition
- Laptops / mobile computing
- Gaming edition: part one
- All about Microsoft
- Apple fans
- Women in tech
- Seriously into HD edition
- Android edition
Travels and (mis)adventures
Our editors have chatted it up with Google's Amit Singhal, traveled to San Jose to ferret out the state of the electric auto at Plug-In 2010, and finally learned the correct pronunciation of ASUS.
- Maker Faire 2010, in pictures
- Google's Amit Singhal tells us about the dreams search engines are made of
- The state of the electric automobile, in pictures
- How to pronounce ASUS
Rants and ravesMan, do we have opinions! On everything from Android fragmentation to rabid fanboyism to the mental health dangers inherent in Solipskier.
- A modest proposal: the Continuous Client
- Solipskier is ruining my life
- It's not my fault your favorite brand sucks
- Fragmentation won't destroy Android after all
- Rechargeable batteries are a vintage gadget's Achilles' heel
Even confirmed workaholics like ourselves have to put down the breaking news and gadget reviews once in a while and just... you know, chill out for a while. Sometimes that might mean that it's time to switch gears and indulge our fancies for Photoshop trickery, literature, or just kickin' back and playing some tunes.
- Engadget's Photoshops: a retrospective
- Fear Of A Nerd Planet: A Hip Hop Retrospective
- Engadget's celebrity iPhone app showdown
- Book Review: You Are Not a Gadget
- Book Review: How To Wreck A Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop
- App Review: Djay for iPad
- Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 review