Bodega is an app discovery and download gateway from Freshcode. The app can be downloaded by anyone for free, and the store is constantly stocked with new apps from a variety of Mac developers. The update provides bug fixes as well as performance and feature improvements, while maintaining the fun "corner store" look and feel that has been a trademark of Bodega.
Ahead of the release of the Mac App Store, Freshcode is pushing Bodega to developers as an alternative with many advantages:
- No approval process for apps, although they must not be blatantly offensive or contain illegal content or information
- No restrictions on APIs used within apps
- Developers keep 93 percent of the sale price as revenue, compared to the Mac App Store's 70 percent
- There's no need to write a special version of an app to be included in Bodega
- No developer program charges or costs
It appears that the Mac marketplace may soon have a surplus of App Stores, since Cydia's Jay "Saurik" Freeman is also developing a similar store. For Mac users, finding and purchasing apps is going to be as easy as clicking an icon -- or several of them. TUAW readers can get a taste of Bodega by downloading the app here.
Editor's note: Bodega is going to thrive with the advent of the Mac App Store.