Apple released a statement on Sunday that confirmed it was working with Chinese authorities in a case where a woman was allegedly electrocuted by her iPhone. Apple said,
We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.
According to Chinese news authority Xinhua, 23-year-old Ma Ailun was electrocuted when she answered her iPhone while it was charging. Police confirm that the young woman died from electrocution. A report in The Wall Street Journal quotes an officer from the local Public Safety Bureau who said, "Her neck had an obvious electronic injury." This unnamed officer added that they have not verified whether the phone, the charger or some other factor contributed to her death.
The story hit Chinese microblog Sina Weibo over the weekend and has gone viral in the Asian country.
[Via The Wall Street Journal]
- Key specs
- Reviews • 43
- Type Smartphone
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 4.7 inches
- Internal memory 16 GB
- Camera 8 megapixels
- Dimensions 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in
- Weight 4.55 oz
- Released 2014-09-19