The overall industry brought in $593.3 million from the sale of hardware, software and accessories (read: Skylanders toys and digital currency giftcards) at brick and mortar retail locations. This was a 15 percent year-over-year decrease from the $700.6 million the industry brought in during the same period in 2012.
The hardware sales segment and its collectively accumulated $142 million suffered the most severe year-over-year loss out of the three subsections, down by 30 percent from last year's $201.5 million.
June was also the first month of availability for the Ouya, the Kickstarter-funded Android microconsole that kicked off a growing craze for Kickstarter-funded Android microconsoles. "Retail sales for Ouya (not counting direct sales through ouya.tv) and were relatively light for a new console," an NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement. "This may be due to the lack of a major marquee title driving consumers to seek out the console, low awareness due to Ouya being a new brand, or low inventory volume due to manufacturing constraints."
The period's 10 best-selling games were lead by three different console exclusives: The Last of Us, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and the physical SKU for Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition. New physical sales of console and portable games in general were down 10 percent from last year, ringing up $296.1 million at the end of the period.
- The Last of Us (PS3)
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- NBA 2k13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, Wii U)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS, WII)
- Deadpool (360, PS3)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
- Key specs
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Nintendo DS Lite
Sony PlayStation Vita PCH-2000
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Nintendo Wii console
Nintendo Wii U
Microsoft Xbox One