The Transistor is blue
We decree 3.5 stars
Go read our review
Yes, Transistor is now out for PC and PS4, and that means it's time to see what everyone thinks. While we found that Supergiant Games' futuristic, not-quite-cyberpunk adventure "makes a great first impression," it "doesn't strike all of its intended chords" by the end. We're not the only ones attending Red's computerized concerto however, so head past the jump to see what others thought.
Gallery | 8 Photos
- IGN (90/100): "For its second game, developer Supergiant takes everything that felt right about Bastion's world and storytelling, trims much of the fat, and adds depth to combat that turns each encounter in its six hours into a life-or-death puzzle."
- Game Informer (90/100): "From its surreal setting and enigmatic characters, to its surprising upgrade system and combat, Transistor is a game that is happy to let you discover its charms over time. For players willing to accept a slightly more opaque experience than many games, Transistor offers an escape into a strange and enchanting world."
- GamesRadar (80/100): "Transistor is cool as hell to look at and damn fun to play, even if you'll spend the whole game waiting for it to become more than the sum of its parts. ... Thankfully, Transistor's shortcomings are relatively minor when put up against the awesome aesthetic, slick music, and amazingly inventive gameplay."
- GameSpot (80/100): "Transistor asks you to trust in it, to come along on the journey even though you have no idea where you're going. And it rewards your trust, weaving a beautiful and unconventional sci-fi tale with a human heart, and empowering you with a wonderfully flexible combat system that fuses real-time and turn-based action to create something that feels unique."
- GamesBeat (75/100): "It's a more flawed experience than Bastion was, but it's also a more interesting one. It takes risks. It ditches Bastion's charm and lighter moments for a darker, more somber story. Not all of the risks, however, pay off."
[Image: Supergiant Games]