- Speed and features Excellent speed, moves faster than my 2009 MacBook pro
- Design and form factor Nothing disappoints from the design to the look and feel of the product.
- Battery life was able to get 5.4 hours doing normal task and media consumption. what I expected but nothing spectacular
- Display extremely crisp and elegant. no complaints
- Durability have only had it for a day, but feels solid and durable. kickstand feels firm and not like its going to break.
- Expandability even though I got the 128gb model, I still added a 32gb microsd card as a second partition and was also able to hook up a usbhub /w wired internet adapter
- Noise this machine has made absolutely no noise all day since I've been using it.
- Portability (size / weight) Having previously used a MBP, this thing feels like nothing and is a joy to take around and walk around with.
Cons: I was disappointed in the fact that you can't customize the background for the metro start screen. This isn't a surface specific problem (more of a windows 8 issue) but given the customizability of other tablets on the market, this definitely took me out of the experience of making it my own. I figured out a way around it, but hacking the system on your first day is not something the average consumer is going to want to do. I've also noticed that if the type pad is connected to the device for an extended period of time, the auto-rotate and auto-keyboard when using it in touch mode seem to stop working, even if you fold the cover all the way to the back. This seems to be a bug because when I dethatch the keyboard and re-connect it the issue goes away. I'm hoping this is something that gets fixed soon.
Pros: First thing I thought when I unboxed this device was how beautiful it was. After reading some of the reviews prior to today, I was anticipating the device to feel heavy and hot. To the contrary the device felt very light to me and while it was a tad warm, It still felt amazing in my hand. I didn't have a problem holding it in one hand while driving it with the other like some have complained about..but who knows, maybe I'm strong. I also tried the device out on my lap and had absolutely no issue as others said I would. As long as my legs were straight and not at an incline everything was fine. I had it on my lap while my legs were propped up on the ottoman as well as just sitting straight up. I had no issue using it like a regular laptop while sitting on my couch. from about 12pm - 5:40pm today I used it without it being plugged into the battery. I did everything from OneNote, twitter, video, news and even read some books on my Nook App. When I plugged it back into the charger, I noticed that it charged back to 100% super fast. I was able to VPN to work through citrix and get some work done remotely, I was also able to chat with friends in the instant messaging app while browsing content in the IE app at the same time. The sound also has been very solid. I've never had to turn it up past 70% and currently have it on 22 setting. I'm still waiting to see if the proverbial "other shoe" will drop, but so far I have been highly impressed and have found no disappointments with the product.
13 people find this review helpful