Please read the entire post before submitting your application.
Incomplete applications are likely to be discarded.
First off, anyone who's interested must have:
But there's a few technical requirements as well:
- A passion for World of Warcraft. You don't have to love everything Blizzard does, but you obviously need to have an interest in the game.
- Solid writing ability. (Basic spelling and grammar required -- and the ability to form words without any numbers in them a plus.)
- Prolificacy! We'd like someone who can commit to writing on a regular basis. For bloggers, we're looking for people who can commit to a minimum of 50 posts a month. For columnists, we're looking for people who can commit to weekly (or bi-weekly) unique content articles of between 500 and 1000 words.
- Possess a computer and a reliable Internet connection. If your computer can play WoW, you should be able to blog with us.
- Have the software and knowledge to create and manipulate photos and screenshots. (Primarily resizing images, but you can always do fancier stuff if you feel like it.)
- Know (basic) blogger's HTML. (Very basic -- but it is sometimes necessary.)
- Are eligible to work wherever you're writing from. Update: We can, and often do, contract bloggers from outside the US. The only caveat here is that people outside of the US must have a bank account and be able to accept payments by wire transfer.
- Are reachable outside of Azeroth -- via e-mail, IM, Skype, phone, etc.
Still think you're right for the job? Here's how to apply.
Send firstname.lastname@example.org an email including:
For bloggers, also include:
- The subject line of your message should include your full name and whether you're applying as a blogger or a columnist. I.e. "John Doe -- blogger"
- Your city and state
- Your contact information, including email address and any instant messenger addresses
- Availability information -- when and how often you think you'll be able to post
- An explanation of why you think you're the right person for the job
- Some information about your background in World of Warcraft, including your current characters and objectives in game
For columnists, also include:
- Three sample posts about World of Warcraft, in the style of a typical WoW Insider post
- Three links to posts on WoW Insider that you feel the best content there
- Three suggestions for how we could improve WoW Insider
- A proposed theme for your column
- Ten sample topics you might explore (if you can't think of ten sample topics, you might want to re-consider your theme)
Note: You can apply for both positions if you wish (and you can also be accepted for both!). However, if you want to be considered for both positions, send us a separate application
for each. (Yes, you can just copy and paste your basic info into both applications.)
We will be accepting applications for ten days
(this makes the application deadline Monday, March 26th
) before we begin reviewing them. The review process will probably take another week after that. Due to the high volume of applications, I'm afraid we cannot personally respond to every application, but if you're accepted, expect an e-mail in about three weeks.
Any other questions? Ask them in the comments and I'll answer as promptly as possible.