Alright, this is a little surprising. Aeus, from the European WoW forums, is now telling us that all the Arena rewards will be updated every Arena season, and the items for the upcoming season 2 are already created and ready to go. Of course, we still don't know when season 2 is, but it's bound to happen sometime. The reason this surprises me is that the CMs have previously said that Arena itemization would be tied into PvE progression, such that the Arena rewards would be commensurate with the epics people were getting from raids; that implied that there wouldn't necessarily be new items every season. I'm pleased with this change, though; new items seem vital to keep people interested in the Arena system. Here's what Aeus had to say, in full:
With the recent addition of Arenas, we thought we'd share some information to try and answer some player questions as well as address concerns:
- There should be no downtime between Arena Season 1 and Arena Season 2. Arena Season 2 is planned to start the week right after Arena Season 1 ends.
- There are plans to update all Arena items with each new Arena season. The items for Arena Season 2 are already done and ready to go.
- Players will be able to save up to 5.000 Arena points at any one time, and currently we do not plan to reset these points with the start of a new Arena Season.
- The top 0.5% of the teams of each bracket will receive the Netherdrake epic flying mount, as well as the top Arena title. This means that the top 0.5% of the teams in the 2v2 bracket, the top 0.5% of the teams in the 3v3 bracket, and the top 0.5% of the teams in the 5v5 bracket will all receive the Netherdrake and the title.
Every player on these top teams who has played at least 20% of the total games of the team for the Arena Season will receive these rewards.
- There will be 4 titles total for players to earn. The highest ranked title is for the top 0.5% of the teams. The specific % needed for the remaining 3 ranks will be revealed as they become finalised.
- This in-game Arena Season is completely separate from the Arena Tournament. Tournament qualifiers will not receive a Netherdrake mount by default