Latest in Gaming

Image credit:

Tiga: 85% of UK developers want tax breaks, programmers not easy to find


This made us laugh: A report by UK trade organization Tiga found that 85% of developers in the UK supported tax breaks for game production. Only 85 percent, really?! Did the remaining 15% not understand the question? Anyway, the report also covered the UK game industry's slipping size and skill shortage.

Of the 100 UK-based CEOs and managing directors surveyed, 63% had faced skill shortages in the last year, with programmer vacancies as the most challenging to fill by 74% of those respondents. Tax burdens and foreign competition were listed as the top two barriers to expansion. Tiga CEO Richard Wilson hopes that the government will introduce a 20% tax break for local developers so the region can compete against Canada and a growing number of US States with tax incentives.

From around the web

ear iconeye icontext filevr