Latest in Accident

Image credit:

Report: iPhone 4 burst into flames, faulty USB port blamed

Mike Schramm
July 8, 2010
Share
Tweet
Share

Sponsored Links

The above picture is from from Boy Genius Report, who claim they received it from an AT&T Store employee dealing with a customer who said their iPhone 4 had spontaneously burst into flames. As you can see above, the adapter cable is completely melted, and the iPhone's stainless steel antenna band is charred. The customer said his hand was burned, and the adapter cord itself burned up, too.

The AT&T store in question was apparently out of iPhones at the time, but otherwise it would have gladly exchanged the unit for a new one. Supposedly the problem was in the USB port on the computer the iPhone was attached to, so this is likely an isolated incident, not a problem with any standard hardware. But the devastation is pretty amazing -- there must have been quite a bit of power flowing off into that USB cable.

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Share
Tweet
Share

Popular on Engadget

Elon Musk warns that Tesla's 'Battery Day' tech is two years away

Elon Musk warns that Tesla's 'Battery Day' tech is two years away

View
Microsoft’s Bethesda deal: Great for Game Pass, troubling for exclusives

Microsoft’s Bethesda deal: Great for Game Pass, troubling for exclusives

View
Royole's FlexPai 2 5G foldable phone costs under $1,500

Royole's FlexPai 2 5G foldable phone costs under $1,500

View
NASA's Mars 2020 rover passes its driving test

NASA's Mars 2020 rover passes its driving test

View
Microsoft keeps the same price for its new wireless Xbox controllers

Microsoft keeps the same price for its new wireless Xbox controllers

View

From around the web

Page 1Page 1ear iconeye iconFill 23text filevr