Currently, we're looking to expand our team with the addition of one paid, part-time news blogger, with the possibility of moving to full-time in the future.
NEWS BLOGGER JOB DUTIES:
- Monitor MMO news feeds aggressively, staying on top of the latest developments with MMO games, development studios and related events.
- Be available to write several 100-200-word news posts a day.
- Research sources and be available for follow-up interviews when applicable.
- Be available during the peak news time of Monday through Saturday, between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. EDT. Overall, the hours are flexible, but this is the time slot when we need people the most. For this time slot and for possible event coverage purposes, European writers are encouraged to apply.
- Work from home in an atmosphere that is free from distraction. This isn't a job you can do at the same time as another day job. We need your full attention.
If you consider yourself a shoo-in for this position, keep reading. Additional positions for columnists or editors may be considered at a later date, but please don't send us applications for the position not listed here. They will be deleted.
We're looking for someone with:
- An excellent grasp of the English language. Superb spelling and grammar are required, and the ability to form words without any numbers in them is a major plus. Remember that we're going to assume that the writing in your application is an example of the best writing you're capable of. Once we see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or typo, we stop reading. Those who can't keep track of the difference between "its" and "it's" need not apply. Of course, you make this process much easier for us when you write about how much you love "MMO's."
- Superior knowledge of all things MMO. If you're the type who plays one or two MMOs religiously, we probably don't want you. We're looking for someone who is obsessed with trying as many MMOs as possible.
- Punctuality. As a news blogger, you will be expected to be quick yet thorough. News written three hours later isn't really news anymore.
- Basic (or better) computer skills. The job requires a bit of HTML knowledge and a bit of image-editing ability.
- Work eligibility. You must be eligible to work wherever you're writing from. We can, and often do, contract writers from outside the U.S. The only caveat is that people outside of the U.S. must have a bank account and be able to accept payments by wire transfer or PayPal. And yes, this and all other positions at Massively are paid. We do not accept volunteer work.
- Thick skin. The internet allows instant feedback, so you need to be able to take any and all criticism by readers and the editorial team.
- A sense of humor. We're not looking for Amateur Night at the Apollo here, but we need you to have fun with your writing and be able to show others that you're having fun.
If you still think this is the job of your dreams, start by sending an email to email@example.com
- Full contact information, including:
- Full name
- Full address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Any instant messenger handles by which you can be reached.
- Your name and the position for which you are applying in your email title (so in this case: Your Name: News Blogger).
- Schedule of availability during the day and week.
- Background for your gaming history (even non MMOs)
- When did you start playing MMOs?
- List your favorite games, classes/professions, playstyle and any important achievements in game. Don't be afraid to brag a bit!
- What specific goals do you have for your character(s)?
All applications must be received on or before April 24th, 2011
. Even if you've applied to Massively in the past, please re-apply, as our application process has changed. Our apologies in advance, but due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each one personally. If we like your application, expect to hear from us by April 29th to schedule an interview!