Most iPhone owners love using the cameras - both front and back - for photography, since they are of surprisingly good quality and resolution. On occasion, though, fingerprints can turn your images into blurry messes. EyePatch Cases (US$19.99 for iPhone 5/5s/6) from Sorrentino Designs come with a unique feature; a lens cap that covers your iPhone cameras when not in use and wipes away smudges with a built-in microfiber cloth.
The lens cap, known as the EyePatch Switch, is molded from polycarbonate and is placed over the top of your iPhone. It slides away when you're ready to take a photo, then slides back into place to protect your lenses. There's a small gap in the front iPatch cover that exposes the proximity and light sensors when the EyePatch Switch is in the closed position so that the your iPhone still functions properly.
Other than the obvious benefit of keeping your camera lenses from being scratched or smudged, there's also a benefit for those who are concerned about smartphone security. EyePatch Case inventor Michael Sorrentino notes that in an interview with NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams last year, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden claimed that the NSA has the ability to remotely access smartphone cameras. By blocking the cameras, this fear can be vanquished.
The EyePatch Case came out of a successful crowdfunding project on HeadFunder, where it raised just enough money to launch. The product now comes in black, white and purple colors, and there are extra EyePatch Switches available in Yellow, Pink, Black and White. The iPhone 6 EyePatch Case is available for pre-order at this time.
The case itself is a rather generic silicone stretch case and if it was not for the EyePatch Switch, the case would be totally unremarkable.
Rating: 3 stars out of 4 stars possible
Want to win an EyePatch case of your own? We're giving away two - one for the iPhone 5/5s, and another for the iPhone 6. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before January 13, 2015 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Two winners will be selected in a random drawing. One will receive an EyePatch Case for iPhone 5/5s valued at $19.99, while the other will receive the iPhone 6 EyePatch Case also valued at $19.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.