Apple iPad 8th-gen
The 2020 iPad is basically the same solid tablet we got last year, except it runs and charges a little faster. That may not sound thrilling (because it isn’t) but this is an extremely competent device made more flexible by design changes and Pencil improvements in iPadOS 14. If you haven't upgraded your tablet in age, or if you're buying one for the first time, we still think this is your best all-around option.
- It’s cheap!
- Improved performance
- Battery life is still great
- Includes a fast new charger
- Base model only has 32GB of storage
- Front-facing camera isn’t great
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 82AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsGizmodo80The Cheap iPad Is Still GoodIf you need an affordable secondary display in your life, this iPad is very good. If you find it on sale for the holiday season, like I did with last year’s version, it makes for a great gift. This would not be the iPad I would buy for myself (I’m waiting for the new iPad Air to see if it hits the sweet spot between this model and the Pro). But for kids, seniors, or anyone who wants a basic tablet, I can’t deny that this one is worth every cent.Macworld80It's got a faster processor, and that's allThis is the best affordable tablet you can buy, but it's disappointing to see Apple put so little effort into improving it over last year's model.Tom's Guide80Swift performance, epic battery life and useful iPadOS upgrades for a great priceThe iPad 2020 is a fantastic tablet for the price, delivering swift performance, a very good display and very long battery life.Wired UK80A lazy update, but who cares?The 8th-gen iPad is an incredible tablet for what it is. With an A12 Bionic chip, 1st-gen Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, plus everything you love about iPad OS 14, all tied up together for a small price, it’s a steal. But if you can afford to stretch your budget, then you may wish to go for the 2020 iPad Air.Pocket-Lint80The new normalIt lacks some of the speed and design points of the higher-end models, but that's why this is the perfect iPad option for many – as there's still no better entry-level tablet around.The Verge70THE NEW 2020 IPAD ISN’T ENOUGH FOR ZOOM SCHOOLThis iPad is very good at the traditional “iPad Things.” But the list of things we’re asking of our iPads as we are stuck at home is getting bigger. iPad things include using Zoom. iPad things ought to involve using the same charger we use for our laptops. iPad things involve sharing the device with our family members or even roommates.That’s the thing with iPads: they’re great, but they could be much more.Expert Reviews100Still got itThis year’s Apple iPad 10.2in is a pretty easy recommendation. It’s the best tablet in its class in almost every area, and more powerful than anything you can buy for the money, too.Add a keyboard – whether that be the official one or a cheaper, third-party product – and you have an exceptionally good-value laptop replacement, too.Not much may have changed, then, but neither has my overall verdict. If you’re looking for any kind of computer – tablet, laptop or otherwise – and you have no more than £500 to spend, make it your business to put the iPad 10.2in eighth-generation (2020) right at the top of your list.Digital Trends80The tablet you buy as an applianceWhen you need a tablet at a reasonable price, the iPad should be your first choice.Good Housekeeping90Apple iPad 8th generation reviewApple’s most affordable iPad is a good all-rounder. It’s simple to use, will last up to 10 hours between charges when watching video, and is good for everything from checking emails and surfing the web to creating documents and watching films. Being able to use it with the optional stylus and keyboard cover gives it a more laptop-like feel, too.PC Mag India80Apple iPad (2020)Apple's lowest-cost eighth-generation iPad doesn't reflect the state of the art in 2020, but it remains the best tablet in the $300 range for students and casual users.
More from Apple
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- Our favorite devices from Apple, Google, Bose, Samsung, Jabra and others are all on sale.