Apple iPad Mini (2019)
It took Apple three years to update the iPad mini, and the improvements here mean the wait was mostly worth it. This time, Apple gave its small tablet the same performance as its flagship iPhone XS, an improved screen, and support for its Apple Pencil. That makes for a definitively modern iPad experience, but the mini’s dated design makes the tablet feel a little older than it should. And beyond that, Apple hasn’t broken any new ground here; everything good about the new mini has appeared in the company’s other products before. All told, this is the best small tablet you can buy right now. It’s just a little light on the thrills.
- Plenty of power
- Solid battery life
- Improved display
- Finally has Apple Pencil support
- This design was dated even the last time around
- Unexciting cameras
- Comes with a slow 12W charger
iPad Mini (2019)
- Critic Reviews (10)
- User Reviews (12)
- 83AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsCNET80iPad Mini is backIt's fiiiine. But unlike the iPhone SE, which managed to be both throwback and fun, or the Retina return of the MacBook Air, the Mini doesn't feel quite as triumphant in the sea of other Apple-made alternatives.TechCrunch90Apple's new iPad mini continues to be miniThe smallness is a real advantage in my opinion. It allows the mini to exist as it does without having to take part in the “iPad as a replacement for laptops” debate. It is very clearly not that, while at the same time still feeling more multipurpose and useful than ever. I’m falling in real strong like all over again with the mini, and the addition of Pencil support is the sweetener on top.PC Mag80Apple iPad mini (2019)Apple's iPad mini is the only small, premium tablet you should consider buying right now.Wired80Review: iPad Mini (2019)I haven’t fallen in love with the new Mini, just as I never felt the need to buy one before. But I could see why people would. It’s less burdensome than a lot of other things we carry. It’s not quite pocketable, but it’s close.Laptop Magazine80Apple iPad mini 2019 ReviewThe new iPad mini is the most powerful and versatile small tablet for the money, complete with Apple Pencil support, though the design is a bit dated.Pocket-Lint90Apple iPad mini review (2019): Small but mightyThere’s simply no better tablet at this size, with ultimate portability and unparalleled power for its price point.Mashable80Apple's new iPad mini is reliable, not revolutionaryWith a powerful A12 Bionic chip, the new iPad mini (2019) is still the best small tablet yet, and will likely remain so in the coming years.Fast Company80New Apple iPad Mini review: renovated, not reimaginedAt some point, aspects of the new Mini that are now pleasantly familiar will feel stale. And as nice as it is to see this tablet reassert itself, it would be a shame if the new version turned out to be a blip rather than a new beginning.The Verge90Apple iPad Mini Review: No CompetitionThe decision to get an iPad mini is simple: do you want a small, capable tablet? If you do, the mini is obviously worth $399, especially when you consider how long Apple has supported iPads for in the past. There’s just nothing else like it. Let’s just hope that next time we don’t have to wait four years for Apple to remember it exists again.Digital Trends80iPad Mini 2019 reviewThe iPad Mini is the best small tablet you can buy today.
- 80AVERAGE USER SCORE12 ReviewsMatt80September 13, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Yes, the iPad Mini has been around for several years. However this size is perfect for business travel. It's easy to maneuver on an airplane's seat-back tray. It fits nicely in the backpack alongside an ultralight notebook computer.Juinn70September 13, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!iPad mini 3. I use this where I can sit during my commute. I use it to mainly consume media so it needs to have solid bluetooth connectivity. Where I get the chance I would like to do more productive tasks with the iPad and I think the 2019 and pro iPads are better with pencil support, multi tasking etc. Most companies now offer Office365 online applications, but when commuting you need offline as well and a decent synchronisation experience as well as document sharing locations with OneDrive. The next thing the iPad needs is a decent travel case and keyboard. Proper key travel and durability when in use and storage. My summary is, my iPad mini3 is a great tablet, intended for increased productivity where a full laptop would be overkill. But the iPad mini3 has ended up a more consumer / media consumption device instead. It does look like the new models address this issue and elevate the line to more work rather than play.Joseph90September 13, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Absolutely love the fact that I can hold it with one hand to read endlessly. I mostly use it for reading and emailing.James90September 13, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetKevin90September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I use the Mini for reading. Why there is not more emphasis on this being the best e-reader on the market is a mystery to meI would hope the next update would reduce the bezelsbzwaagstra80September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Replaced an older Android tablet with the new Apple mini. I wanted a small tablet for reading on the subway, watching movies on airplanes, and general about the house automation (Ring app, Sonos app, etc.). About the same size (small) and weight (light) as the old Android so it slips in my briefcase with nary a thought. After hours of reading on the Kindle app the battery dropped just a few %. But the power is amazing. Websites render instantly. App downloads are near instant too (on fast WiFi). This is FAST. Though I admit I have not tried Lightroom CC or CPU demanding games. The screen is beautiful so my photo portfolio looks fantastic. This is a near total winner. Why the hesitation? Its too wide to hold one handed (grasped between the finger) and too heavy to pinch between the index and thumb while keeping it aloft. The aspect ratio (4x) is just too wide to make an effective “book”. My old Android was 16x9 and so narrower and taller but the same space overall. Oh well … it still usable for reading. And I do very much which it has FaceID like my iPhone X. But overall it’s a huge upgrade. And $509 on Amazon for the 64GB LTE version. So count me as happy.Jweebs8680September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - Engadgetalirezax10September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!An awful product that should be avoided. You'll be sorry. - EngadgetAdmrlHippr90September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - Engadget𝓜𝓮90September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best thing is the A12 processor, the latest updated vanilla iPad uses A10. Considering that iPhone that uses the the same A12 processor cost 3x more makes you appreciate how good a deal this is.AccountExile90September 12, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - Engadgetbrenda100March 29, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best iPad mini ever. Very fast to set up and load. Sharp and crisp picture. Books both ebooks and audible downloaded speedily. I’m impressed. Face recognition would have been nice touch but that’s the only negative I can think of.