Today we had a chance to finally bring to rest the following question: what the hell's the difference between a UMPC and a MID. Fortunately, Dan Monahan, Intel's Global Internet Segment Manager of Ultra Mobility and the man who showed us
(and the world) the UMPC for the first time at CeBIT took the time to set us straight. This is how it breaks down.UMPC
- Business-class device for enterprise users
- Runs a "heavy" OS like Vista
- Optimized for office-use applications like Excel, Word, etc.
- Consumer-class lifestyle device
- Runs a 'lightweight" OS with quick startup like Linux
- Optimized for things like media playback and web surfing
- In 2009 (or so) Moorestown-based devices will be classed as MIDs only
So there you have it from the man who knows. Now use the term correctly please, especially you dear OEM/ODMs.