Please read this entire post before submitting any kind of application. I know it's long, but to do this job, you need to be able to read and follow instructions. Proving that you can starts right now.
Currently, we're looking to expand our specific game coverage with more columnists who know their favorite games inside and out. Much in the style of our current specific game columns, we need someone to take on a few more titles, which include:
- Champions Online
- Fallen Earth
- Runes of Magic
- Star Trek Online
We're looking for someone with:
- A good grasp of the English language. Excellent spelling and grammar are required -- and the ability to form words without any numbers in them is a major plus. Remember that we're going to assume that the writing in your application is an example of the best writing you're capable of. Once we see a spelling mistake, grammatical error, or typo, we stop reading. Those who can't keep track of the difference between "its" and "it's" need not apply. Although you make this process much easier for us when you write about how much you love "MMO's".
- Punctuality. As a columnist, you will be expected to produce a 1000-1500-word article once a week, on your specified day.
- Basic (or better) computer skills. The job requires a bit of HTML knowledge and a bit of image editing ability.
- Work eligibility. You must be eligible to work wherever you're writing from. We can, and often do, contract writers from outside the US. The only caveat is that people outside of the US must have a bank account and be able to accept payments by wire transfer. And before you ask: yes, this and all other positions on Massively are paid. We do not accept volunteer work.
- Full contact information, including:
- Full Name
- Full Address
- Any instant messenger names where you can be reached.
- Background for your game of choice
- List of characters, classes, levels and any important achievements in game. Don't be afraid to brag a bit.
- When did you start playing?
- What specific goals do you have for your character(s)?
- Ten sample topics you will explore in your column. For each topic include a sentence or two explaining what the topic is and why it's compelling content that Massively would want to produce.
- A sample first column of around 500 words. Even though we require our columns to be at least 1,000 words, 500 words will allow us to get a feel for your writing. We get many applications -- please do not write a novel.