As patch 4.2 is beginning to wind down, many hunters are looking for ways to fill some of the extra in-game time, and the coming of transmogrification in patch 4.3 is the perfect thing. Now is the time to start collecting the looks that you want to transmogrify into when patch 4.3 comes.
I have a full look at all the hunter armor sets on each race and where to get them, over at the WHU Transmog page. Today, we're going to take a look at the next most crucial transmogrification decision: our ranged weapon.
[Update: you can find a full list of every hunter transmog resource on the web (including this one) at the WHH's hunter transmog guide. So if you're looking for custom transmog looks and databases and transmogrification addons, that's the place to go. If you want to see your awesome ranged weapon transmog options, read on!]
We can actually transmogrify one ranged weapon type into another, unlike any other weapon type, so we can make our bows look (and sound) like guns or crossbows. This gives hunters a host of options for what kind of weapon look we want to be sporting. Join me after the cut for a look at some of the most distinctive ranged weapons and where to find them.
There have a been a huge variety of guns in the game, from the simple and plain to the comically extravagant. Guns remain the ranged weapon of choice for those of refined tastes (Dwarves) even if we haven't had an endgame gun since TotC. Note that the classic BRK-1000 is not listed here because it's no longer available in game.
Here are a handful of the most distinctive gun models:
- Wrathful Gladiator's Rifle 2,550 honor
- Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle Karazahn, opera encounter, Big Bad Wolf
- True-Aim Long Rifle Trial of the Champion heroic, the Black Knight
- The Diplomat Trial of the Crusader 10-man, Fjola Lightbane
- Crossfire Carbine Bastion of Twilight zone drop BOE
- Bear Hunter's Rifle Quest reward for A Mighty Hunger
- Stakethrower Icecrown Citadel 10-man normal, Blood-Queen Lana'thel
- Blunderbuss of Khaz Modan 25 Champion's Seals (Argent Tournament), Alliance only
- Envoy of Mortality Naxxramas 25-man, Kel'Thuzad
- Magnetized Projectile Emitter Ulduar 10-man, XT-002 Deconstructor
- Wrathfire Hand-Cannon Shadow Labyrinth, Grandmaster Vorpil
- Dragonbreath Hand Cannon Blackwing Lair, Ebonroc
A mainstay of the hunter class and a favorite of hippie Elves, bows are available in a vast range of colors and styles, from "death dealer" to "I'm a butterfly princess!" I've included the classic Rhok'delar even though it's no longer available, since many, many hunters out there have it (including those who read this column warning to get it before it was gone) and dearly want to wield it again. We do have a legendary bow out there; however, current word is that you cannot transmogrify into the appearance of a legendary item.
Here is where to find this season's hottest bow looks:
- Golden Bow of Quel'Thalas Sunwell Plateau, Grand Warlock Alythess / Lady Sacrolash
- Crypt Fiend Slayer Halls of Reflection normal mode, captain's chest
- Bristleblitz Striker Hyjal Summit, Archimonde
- Black Bow of the Betrayer Black Temple, Illidan Stormrage
- Arathar, the Eye of Flame Firelands, Ragnaros
- Zod's Repeating Longbow Icecrown Citadel 25-man, Lady Deathwhisper
- Sunfury Bow of the Phoenix Karazahn, Prince Malchezaar
- Skyfire Hawk-Bow Shattered Halls, Warbringer O'mrogg
- Melmorta's Twilight Longbow Black Morass, Chrono Lord Deja
- High-Strung Bow Quest reward for Stocking the Shelves
- Heartstriker Blackwing Lair, Broodlord Lashlayer
- Rhok'delar, Longbow of the Ancient Keepers No longer available
There have been fewer crossbows put in the game than any other ranged weapons; however, that hasn't stopped the crossbow from having some of the most elaborate designs. From simple and utilitarian to a model of a boat, here are some of the coolest-looking crossbows:
- Stoneshatter Dire Maul, Prince Tortheldrin
- Crossbow of Imminent Doom Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj, Ossirian the Unscarred
- Adamantine Repeater The Blood Furnace heroic, Keli'dan the Breaker
- Emberhawk Crossbow The Arcatraz, Wrath-Scryer Soccothrates
- Death's Head Crossbow Trial of the Crusader 25-man, Lord Jaraxxus, Horde only
- Final Voyage Naxxramas 25-man, Gluth
- Legionkiller Black Temple, Supremus
- Lava Bolt Crossbow Firelands zone drop BOE
- Felglacier Bolter Pit of Saron heroic, Ick
Scattered Shots is dedicated to helping you learn everything it takes to be a hunter. From leveling your hunter and choosing the best patch 4.2 gear to learning the DPS value of skill, we've got you covered. If you're stuck in one of the nine support classes, why not move up to the big league and play a hunter?