I've had a great run here at Joystiq. It's been a wonderful six years but, this morning, Senior Reporter Ben Gilbert informed me that Hero Academy will soon be coming to Steam. It will feature a special Team Fortress 2 team of heroes, will be cross-platform compatible with the iOS version and all purchased teams will work across both versions.
Hero Academy will come to Steam on August 9, which means I have about 40 days of productivity left. I can't promise I will write another word after that. Sorry.
Steam version to include exclusive playable Team Fortress 2TM team and unlockables
PLANO, Texas – June 29, 2012 – Robot Entertainment has announced that their critically acclaimed mobile strategy game, Hero Academy, is coming to Steam on August 8, 2012. Players who purchase the game on Steam will unlock an exclusive new heroic team featuring the mercenaries from Valve Corporation's wildly popular Team Fortress 2. Additionally, each heroic expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique item in Team Fortress 2.
Blending classic tactics gaming with the fast-paced action of modern casual titles, Hero Academy delivers tense one-on-one battles with quick bursts of gameplay. The balance of power can shift in a single turn, and victory requires a carefully crafted strategy. Deploy different character classes, defend your turf with countermeasures, and with the placement of a few special items, you'll conquer your opponent.
"Working with Valve on this major franchise and bringing their popular characters into our world is groundbreaking in the world of gaming. It marks the first time we've seen a major crossover of characters from the PC to mobile devices and from the first-person shooter genre to turned-based strategy," said Robot Entertainment CEO Patrick Hudson. "It's a great testament to Valve as a visionary partner and their passion for giving gamers what they want."
Watch the new teaser trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCUDsMdpYc
Hero Academy is asynchronous, so a player may battle friends across multiple simultaneous games on iOS or Steam, whenever they have a few moments of free time. Select your moves from a range of options, like advancing across the playing field, attacking, defending, or adding powerful items to the fray. Once you're satisfied with your five moves, submit your turn or add an animated taunt. The game's built-in chat system lets you talk smack or simply stay in touch with friends. The first player to destroy their opponent's crystals is declared the winner, but a range of strategies ensure that no two games are alike. The game launches on PC with two unique teams included, each with a variety of playable units. More heroic teams, avatars and add-ons are available via in-game purchase. Teams purchased in either the iOS or the Steam version of Hero Academy will work on all platforms.
Hero Academy Features:
· Cross-Platform Multiplayer Gaming – Challenge friends on Steam or iOS to asynchronous one-on-one battles via online multiplayer. Play a heated bout in twenty minutes or across a full day, whenever you have a few moments. Play all of your Hero Academy matches at your desk, on your iPad, or on the go with your iPhone!
· Exclusive TF2 team – The Steam version of Hero Academy includes the Council starter team and an exclusive new team featuring characters, upgrades, and abilities from Team Fortress 2! You can only unlock this team via Steam, but once unlocked you can use them anywhere that you play Hero Academy.
· Team Fortress 2 unlockable items – Each expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.
· Quick to Learn – Casual players can attack without mercy, while tactics game buffs will love the strategic cat-and-mouse gameplay
Hero Academy is an asynchronous multiplayer tactics game from Robot Entertainment that can be played on iOS and Steam. Featuring humorous fantasy visuals, Hero Academy is a mix of classic strategy and fast-paced casual gaming and has something for every player. For more information about Hero Academy, please visit http://www.HeroAcademyApp.com.
- Key specs
- Reviews • 12
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16
Apple iPhone 6