Many of the speakers we've been reviewing on TUAW are battery-powered Bluetooth boxes, and with the exception of a handful of those speakers, most could not honestly be said to have "audiophile" quality sound. Now Palo Alto Audio Design is shipping the new Cubik speakers (US$199.95), which might not be cordless but are certainly deserving of the audiophile seal of approval. In cooperation with Palo Alto Audio Design, we're giving away a pair of these great-looking high-end speakers for your Mac.
Available at the Apple Store and other online retailers, Cubik was designed by designer Young-se Kim to produce full bass sound without the need for a separate subwoofer. The speakers look awesome; they are small cubes that come with accompanying metal speaker stands. The speakers use digital USB streaming and full-digital amplifier technology, so there is no need to convert the signal to analog at any point, resulting in flat frequency response and eliminating all unwanted noise.
The Cubik speakers use a Danish-designed Peerless speaker unit with a 2.5" metal cone driver that is rarely found in computer speaker sets. Each speaker weighs about a pound; a mini USB port is used for connecting the speaker to your Mac, and there's also an external power supply you'll need to attach give your Cubiks the power they need.
If you're as much of a gear geek as I am, you're probably drooling by now and would love to get your hands on a pair of these speakers. No problem! Thanks to Palo Alto Audio, we're giving away one set to a TUAW reader. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before July 21, 2012 11:59PM Eastern Daylight Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a set of Palo Alto Audio Design Cubik speakers valued at $199.95.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.