As far as hardware sales are concerned, the 3DS was the only hardware to see an increase in sales year over year, according to NPD analyst Anita Frazier. In fact, the 3DS and DS were also the only two products to see a sales increase over June 2012. In total, hardware sales added up to $150.7 million, down 32 percent from July 2011's $221.4 million.
Accessories, on the other hand, continued the upward year-over-year trend seen last month, with the increase again attributed to virtual currency cards and Skylanders figures. The sector's eight percent increase over July 2011 amounts to $136.9 million.
Physical software sales suffered a 23 percent decline over July 2011, $260.7 million as opposed to $338.5 million, respectively. NCAA Football 13 leads the pack of July's ten best selling games, followed by last month's champion Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, as well as The Amazing Spider-Man. As per usual, the full list can be found after the break.
Update: Microsoft's response has also been added beyond the veil.
The Xbox was the best selling piece of hardware in July, making this its nineteenth consecutive month as leader of the pack and fourteenth month as the owner of 40+ percent market share, according to Microsoft. In total, 203,000 Xboxen found new homes during the month of July.
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, NDS, Wii)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)
- Key specs
- Reviews • 104
- Game format Downloadable, Cartridge
- Screen size 3.53 inches
- Online features Multiplayer, Store, Browser
- Direction control D-pad, Thumb stick (1)
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Camera / optical
- Dimensions 0.8 x 5.3 x 2.9 in
- Weight 8 oz
- Released 2011-03-27
Nintendo DS Lite
Sony PlayStation Vita PCH-2000
Sony PlayStation 3 (late 2012)
Sony PlayStation Portable PSP-2000
Nintendo Wii console
Microsoft Xbox One