While I was at Macworld/iWorld 2013 last month, I had the pleasure of meeting with the folks from Newer Technology at the OWC booth. One item that they were showing off at the booth was NewerTech's NuGuard KX for iPhone 5 (US$35.00), a case that manages to provide MIL-STD-810G drop protection while not adding a lot of bulk. Let's take a look.
Looking at the NuGuard KX, you'd probably think that it's just another iPhone case, but the special characteristics of the design are built into the case. Rather than being a two or three piece case, Newer Technology has managed to cram all of the protection into a one-piece structure. There's a "X-Orbing" gel that absorbs impact energy and distributes it to keep your iPhone 5 from being damaged, surrounded by a hard (yet flexible) shell.
I recall watching OWC spokesman Alan Bitterman tossing his NuGuard KX-protected iPhone 5 onto the ground at the expo, and figuring that he wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have a lot of confidence in the design. NewerTech had Quanta Laboratories perform and film the drop testing required to get the MIL-STD designation, and the company also dropped a phone from the top of the OWC wind turbine. I can see where Bitterman got his confidence.
The NuGuard KX comes in a variety of colors: Darkness (black), Trooper (white), Midnight (blue), Roulette Red, Buzz (yellow and black), Rose (magenta and white), Eagle Shield (tan and brown) and Nubar Forest (forest green).
The NuGuard KX is a piece of cake to install and remove, perfect if you want protection for those times you're hiking but don't want a case on your iPhone 5 all the time. The case has a nice felt-like material on the inside to keep your iPhone 5 from being scratched, a wide hole for the camera and flash, "pass-through" buttons for volume and sleep/wake/on/off, and holes for the speakers, Lightning port, headphone port, and mute button.
So, did I go out and test the NuGuard KX by dropping it from the top of the nearby Aspen Grove Apple Store (Littleton, CO) or throwing it on the floor? No. Hey, I need this phone for work...
Newer Technologies has developed a lightweight, thin, and durable iPhone 5 case that will definitely protect your investment. The NuGuard KX is perfect for any iPhone 5 owner who wants the maximum in protection at a reasonable price and minimal bulk.
- Relatively inexpensive for a MIL-STD iPhone 5 case
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Easy to install and remove
- Has a lifetime warranty and 30-day money back guarantee
- None to speak of
Who is it for?
- Any iPhone 5 owner who wants great protection and less bulk
We have one of these hardy cases available as a giveaway. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before February 17, 2013 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One winner will be selected and will receive a NuGuard KX iPhone 5 case (Eagle Shield color scheme) worth $35.00
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.
- Key specs
- Type Smartphone
- Operating system iOS
- Screen size 4.7 inches
- Internal memory 16 GB
- Carriers (US) AT&T
- Dimensions 5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in
- Weight 5.04 oz
- Released 2015-09-25