Hulu Plus has been on a roll in the mobile world this month, dishing out a brand-new Windows Phone app and updates to its Android UI. Fortunately, the service is pushing out similar efforts to the home entertainment side as well: a new refresh is rolling out to Samsung Smart TVs, select Blu-ray players and newer Roku hardware, with the Wii getting the update treatment in the near future. Enhancements in the new "experience" include a new tray-style user interface with a "shows you watch" feature, simplified controls, better search and Hulu Kids. Sounds like a pretty solid effort by the company, but if you're not convinced, head to the source link for the full list of changes.
Update: A post on the Roku blog indicates the new UI is coming to the Roku HD (2500) and later models including the Roku 2, 3 and Streaming Stick. Earlier devices will still get the old UI.
Summary of new features:
· Artwork. Larger and more vivid artwork, providing easier navigation.
· Trays. Tray-style format allowing you to scroll through recommendations, popular shows and movies, top 100 clips, movie trailers and a new "Shows You Watch" feature that lets you jump straight to the latest episodes of the shows you regularly watch.
· Search. Updated search experience providing a simpler way to find content with results that appear directly beneath the search.
· Controls. Playback is simplified with clean and intuitive controls.
· Hulu Kids. Now you can bring the Hulu Kids section to the living room, letting your family enjoy commercial-free children's shows from your couch.
· Easy Access. Simple to sign up for Hulu Plus directly from within the app.