What is Dragon Con?
According to its own description, Dragon Con is the "largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction and fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music, and film in the universe!" Last year saw 52,000 fans attend 3,500 hours of non-stop programming, concerts, costume contests, a parade, and more. This year, the convention will play host to such sci-fi and fantasy stars as William Shatner, George Takei, Billy Dee Williams, Lou Ferrigno, Lucy Lawless, Lee Majors, Malcolm McDowell, and many many more.
Where is Dragon Con?
It's held in Atlanta, Georgia, each year, spreading the panels and events among five major hotels within the heart of downtown Atlanta.
What's to see for an MMO fan?
The entire MMORPG track is geared toward MMO-heads; there are fan gatherings, insider panels, films, and even a trivia contest. Highlights include:
- A look into Blizzard's development studio with senior game designer Jonathan LeCraft
- A brief history of online gaming with industry vets Keith Baker and Brian Green
- A look at the history of EverQuest from EverQuest I to EverQuest Next as told by a handful of SOE devs
- A Guild Wars 2 fan meetup hosted by yours truly
- World of Warcraft costume contest for fun and prizes
- A Star Citizen sneak preview with writer Dave Haddock
- The Heroes and Villains Ball, which is basically a giant party for MMO fans
- MMO Trivia where you can team up with friends or join a PUG to show off your most obscure MMO knowledge for valuable prizes
Dragon Con 2013 is more MMOsy than ever! Massively's in Atlanta, Georgia, from August 30th to September 2nd this year to report back on Guild Wars 2, EverQuest Next, Star Citizen and all the other MMOs at the con. Heck, we're even hosting a panel. So check back as we post up the highlights gamer-flavored geeks crave!