Despite earlier comments in which Kojima stated that the Fox Engine could potentially be used for a Silent Hill entry, or perhaps a first-person shooter, the designer now believes that the engine would require a massive amount of work before it might be found in games other than Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
"Right now it's a bit too difficult," Kojima told Gamasutra. "While, yes, the engine has been shared around internally at Konami, a lot of maintenance will be involved if we're to get the Fox Engine in a workable enough state to license it. At the moment there are no plans to license it to schools or other organizations."
Continuing, Kojima adds that he and Konami are willing to meet with potential Fox Engine licensees, but that open licensing of the engine is "off the table for now."
- Key specs
- Game format Optical disc, Downloadable
- Online features Multiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity 250 GB
- Controller type Wired, Wireless
- Motion controls Accelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputs HDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- Released 2012-09-25
Microsoft Xbox One