Good evening! Here's the Apple news for Jan. 7, 2014:
- Apple has released the third beta of iOS 7.1. Macrumors notes that there have been a few tweaks such as alterations to the keyboard, darker icon colors and a revamped Phone app and shut down screen.
- Apple has been awarded a patent that could generate user-inputted street views in its Maps program.
- Good news for Eye-Fi users! A beta version of its Mac companion software has been released, which allows Eye-Fi users to transfer images between their camera and the Mac. The beta software is only compatible with Eye-Fi Mobi cards.
- Macheist fans can now take advantage of the latest nanoBundle, which features software such as Hype, LaunchBar and more.
- Vine's co-founder Dom Hofmann has stepped down as lead general manager in a transition that's been underway since November. Hoffman will be working on a new startup. Jason Toff, a product manager with YouTube, has been brought on as a project manager.
- In additional departure news, Bart Decrem of Tapulous is leaving Disney after three years. Decrem posted a farewell notice on Facebook and said he's made no plans for the future yet. Tapulous puts out the Tap Tap series, one of the first viral hits in the App Store.
- More than US$10 billion in revenue has been generated through the App Store, Apple reported on Tuesday. More than $1 billion came during December. Apps that did particularly well include (to no surprise) Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft.
- Despite the legal issues, Aereo has managed to secure an additional $34 million in funding. A report from TechCrunch says that while the company fell short in spreading to 22 cities, it hopes to be in five more markets by the end of the first quarter.
- Want to see how Twitter's faring as an IPO? It'll issue its first earnings webcast on Feb. 5.
- Love all things Mophie? Meet the Juice Pack's new sibling - the Space Pack. The Space Pack adds power and storage to your iPhone and starts at $149.95 for a 16 GB case. A 32 GB extension will go for $179.95. They go on sale March 14.
Kick back and relax with some of these features:
- The NSA, the iPhone and a whole lot of paranoia
- iPhone battery draining faster than usual? Blame the weather
- Add a paragraph using Mac Messages without sending the message
- Five apps to help you stay fit while you exercise indoors
- How do I dislike iBooks for OS X? Let me count the ways...
And coming Wednesday, we will have the first look at a great new app for mothers.
- Key specs
- Form factor Tablet
- Operating system iOS (8)
- Screen size 9.7 inches
- Storage type Internal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery life Up to 10 hours
- Dimensions 9.4 x 6.6 x 0.24 in
- Weight 0.96 lb
- Announced 2014-10-16
Apple iPhone 6s