There are plenty of new releases to dig into on the eShop this week, including the return of everyone's favorite sneaker-wearing dino-thing in 3DS platformer Yoshi's New Island. All but one of the games out this week are for the Nintendo handheld; the only new release on Wii U is a retro release, and that's Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.
The Lost Levels is the true sequel to the original Super Mario Bros. - SMB2 is awesome, we know, but facts are facts. The game famously didn't make it out of Japan until it was re-released in the SNES compilation Super Mario All-Stars, and finally Western players got to grips with some really challenging Mario. Not that the first SMB isn't tricky because it is, especially if you don't use warp pipes, but The Lost Levels is, er, another level.
Anyway, the Virtual Console version is the NES game rather than the SNES re-release, and it's priced at $5. Finally, look out for discounts on Steamworld Dig on 3DS, which should be going down from $9 to $4.50 - that sale ends 9AM PT/12PM ET on March 16 - and on Zen's collection of 3DS pinball games, which will all be half-off between March 17-31.
Yoshi's New Island (E3 2013)
- Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (Nintendo, 1 player, $5)
- Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo, 2 players simultaneous, available midnight March 14, $40)
- Galaga (Namco Bandai, 2 players alternating, $5)
- Madagascar 3 & The Croods Prehistoric Party Combo Pack (D3Publisher, 1 player, $30)
- Bubble Pop World (Cypronia, 1 player, $5)
- Cube Tactics (Teyon World, 1 player, $5)
- Lola's ABC Party (BeiZ, 1 player, $4)